21

"I am terrified by this dark thing that sleeps in me ;All day I feel its soft, feathery turnings, its malignity

All day I feel its soft, feathery turnings, its malignity." Sylvia Plath

The next day, Tom's parents had left after breakfast since they had things to take care of at home. They took a good and hard look at their son, hoping they wouldn't go through something as scary as they did two days ago. His parents told him to be careful - scratch that - they begged him to be careful. Alexie's heart tightened at their heartfelt demand, a part of her still felt responsible for what happened and she felt for his parents - she was worried about him too.

Tom was careful with his movements and took good care of his wounds - he knew if they didn't heal correctly he wouldn't be able to protect those he loves as much as he wanted to. The good news was that he was healing quickly, the bad news was that it still hurt like hell.

On the fourth day, Tom decided he needed a plan. So as everyone stood by the pool, enjoying what was probably one of the last warm day, he decided to get to work. He went to his office, shut the door and sat at his desk. Tom had called a trusted man of his to go back to the now burnt to the ground house to collect any important documents that may have survived. Tom carried all of them in a flash drive so he didn't really care if they burned, but if they didn't he needed them back - the police couldn't find then.

Tom started out by writing everything he knew and everything that happened with Sinclair and Alexie. He connected the dots, made up hypothesis where the dots couldn't connect. Tom was stressing himself out with all of this and he considered just telling Alexie she'd have to live her whole life at the lodge - but she deserved more. He knew it just as much as the next person and he wanted to be the one to offer her more.

Alexie thought Tom was eventually going to join them but as the hour passed she came to the conclusion that he wasn't going to. Instead, she excused herself and went back inside the house. She wore a white and yellow sunflower bikini so walking back in was a little chilly - but nothing she couldn't handle. Alexie still stopped by Tom's room to grab a shirt of his - that she knew would be big enough to cover her. She put it on, letting it fall to her mid thigh.

Since Tom wasn't in her room and she wasn't sure where he could be, she went on to search through the house for any other room she wasn't aware of. Alexie walked pass the bathroom, the guest room, Harrison's room then got to the last door. She supposed that's where Tom was - after all, there wasn't much room for a hidden room in the lodge.

She knocked on the door and waited for an answer, once she heard Tom's voice, she opened the door and showed her face in the opening.

"Are you busy?" She asked softly, really hoping he'd say he wasn't.

Yes. "No, come in darling." Tom put down the pen he had nervously been messing with, using his hands to gesture her to walk in. She did and followed his lead until she got in front of him. Tom pulled her to his lap, wrapping his arms around her waist. She was surprised to say the least, they had kissed sure, but she didn't think he'd act so affectionate just yet. "You alright?" He wondered as her arm made its way around his neck. Her hand fell flat against his shoulder and she used it to massage his shoulder lightly.