7

"Look at how a single candle can both defy and define the darkness

"Look at how a single candle can both defy and define the darkness." Anne Frank

The day went by without much happening. Alexina had found a blank journal laying around in the bedroom as well as a pen. She had written down every single thing she remembered about her father that could link him to a mob of some sort.

She heard movements around the house all day long but she hadn't seen anyone for the short amount of time she had spent out of her room. Alexie only went downstairs once to get some food and even managed to sneak some snacks into her room - just in case. No one except the maid was in the kitchen so it was perfect for her. Nothing to complain about except the extreme loneliness and boredom. At least she was safe from Ryan's assaults on her, but who knows for how long. The woman didn't get much sleep ever since she arrived at the mob's house. The journal she found helped her put down her thoughts and figure out some stuff, but she still didn't want to be there. She wanted out. She was tired of all the mystery and secrecy.

So when diner time came, she heard a knock on her door and the woman opened the door to reveal Tom standing there wearing a long trench coat and black boots. She furrowed her eyebrows at him, wondering why he was dressed that way.

"Diner's ready." He simply stated, taking a quick look around the room - mostly the windows - and was ready to turn around when Alexina softly grabbed his wrist.

"Are you not going to be there?" She asked, quickly retracting her arm as she realized what she did. The girl stood back, regaining composure as the man in front of her flinched a little at the contact of her soft and gentle touch on his skin. He tried not to let it show, but she caught it. Both decided not to point it out.

"No." He coldly answered, "Neither will Harrison or Penelope. But don't you dare try to pull anything funny on us. I've got eyes on you." Tom half heartedly threatened, he knew she probably wouldn't pull anything stupid because even if she did, she wouldn't have anywhere to go. If she stayed here, she had protection and a roof over her head - the choice was obvious.

The girl simply nodded at him and walked back inside her room as he observed her every move. She carried herself well, with a confidence Tom was pretty sure she didn't even know she had. Alexina was so oblivious to everything that was actually happening around her, making her look so pure and innocent to Tom. He liked how she didn't let that innocence affect her, she acted like it didn't exist - like she was in control- and no matter what Tom said about it, deep down he admired it. She was scared yet she put on a brave face every time she stood in front of one of them, that proved to him how fierce she was.

But right now, he needed her to trust him because he needed her to get to his current goal. He turned around and walked down the stairs, ready to get to work.