17

"Light think it travels faster than anything but it is wrong

"Light think it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds that darkness has always got there first and is waiting for it." Terry Pratchett

Tom's heart beat faster and faster in his chest, almost overwhelming him. He dug his nails in the palm of his hands in hopes to get a grip on himself and steady his heartbeat. Tom hated being put in situations like that, where he had no plan and anything - literally anything - could go wrong. He had trouble thinking straight, especially when innocent people's lives where at risk. That was usually why he needed Harrison by his side - to keep him grounded and focused. But now he was on his own and he needed to think - fast.

"What the fuck are you doing here, Sinclair?" Tom spoke through gritted teeth, now really hoping Harrison had put Penelope to safety - at least until Alexina was cleared to go.

"You know what I'm doing here, you sent your fucking dog to do your dirty work - too sad he never came back to warn you." John tested Tom, looking down at him like he did with everyone else. Tom despised it, the man knew he had power and money making him think that he was above everyone - but he was no smarter than anyone else.

"Nah, good riddance. He was good for nothing." Tom shrugged, showing no interests whatsoever for the man who died at the hands of John Sinclair a few hours ago. He still couldn't believe he hadn't called it earlier. Of course Josh wouldn't play out the plan properly, why would he? John chuckled dryly at Tom's words, taking the opportunity to glance around the room - looking for something or more like someone.

"You won't find her here." Tom simply stated, his eyes never leaving Sinclair. He had to concentrate to prevent an attack or any other move John might try to pull on him. The man in front of him didn't answer, instead, he stepped forward and walked around Tom. He stopped and bent down to grab something Tom hadn't caught sight of - at least until John held it in front of his eyes. Alexie's bra. Tom focused on his breathing so he wouldn't show John how surprised he was. It must have fallen from the bag when she grabbed it and rushed to the walk-in. It was the only possible explanation.

"Mhm," John smirked at Tom, playing with the dark red bra - which infuriated Tom. "So you only bring her in here for yourself?" Sinclair insinuated, watching as Tom screwed his eyes shut - trying to control his reaction. But Tom forgot who was in front of him because the man took the opportunity to throw his fist against Tom's face - hitting him in the jaw. His head jerked in the other direction but he recovered quickly when he noticed John walking towards the walk-in. His chest rose and fell with rapid breaths slipping out of his lips as he quickly kicked the back of John's knee and grabbed him by the neck as he fell. He let him down on the floor, but he took advantage of the upper hand he gained and hit him on the nose.

John grunted and fought back, fists going back and forth between the two men - Tom still having the upper hand against John. Tom ducked one of John's fists and took the opportunity to hit him twice in the face as well as kick him once in the ribs.