13

"What hurts you, blesses you

"What hurts you, blesses you. Darkness is your candle." - Rumi

A shadow stood in front of her, looking at her as she slept. It was the third time she had seen the same silhouette just standing at the end of her bed. The first two times, she thought she was imagining things as she had only seen it for a few minutes. As soon as she shut her eyes, the shadow had disappeared when she opened them again. But now, the figure was pacing around and actually breathing.

She had been watching it for around ten minutes, pretending to sleep as her heart raced. Alexina was trying really hard to control her breathing so he wouldn't be able to tell she was awake. Coming up with a plan was the hardest thing, her room wasn't exactly small - but she would never make it past him if she tried to make a run for it. The only thing the woman could come up with after minutes of thinking was grabbing her phone that she had actually forgotten to put on her nightstand before falling asleep.

She waited until he faced the other way and turned down the brightness of her screen under the covers as she subtly unlocked it and went directly to her text messages, praying to God that someone was awake. Alexina sent SOS texts to Harrison, Tom and Penelope - the only three people she knew were in the house for sure. She put her phone on do not disturb so it wouldn't make any noise if any of them responded.

Alexina waited for what felt like hours before the doorknob twisted slowly, like someone was trying to sneak in. Her heart raced even faster hoping it was one of the three people she had texted. The silhouette hid behind her desk as the other person sneaked inside the room. They looked from side to side, a hand on their hip. It was Tom, it was definitely Tom. She recognized the way he held himself and held his gun. He sneaked beside her in the bed, getting under the covers. She snuggled up to him, her hands trembling and her breathing shaky. Alexina figured that he had been working in his office because he was dressed in jeans and a t-shirt, his gun attached to his hip.

He pulled her closer by her waist, pushing her head gently against his chest so he could help her control her breathing - decreasing their chances of getting caught. Tom waited a few seconds for her to control it before he got back up, taking his shirt off as well as his pants. Keeping up his act in front of the unknown figure in the room. He fiddled with his phone for a few seconds before leaving it on the nightstand and getting back in bed. Tom pulled her back against his chest and she felt his gun against her thigh as he held it tightly - ready for anything. She felt calmer with him here with her, even though the person terrorizing her was still hiding in the corner of the room. Tom stopped moving and slowed his breathing, acting like he was asleep. His free hand played with her hair, soothing her. Alexina traced circles against his thigh, helping her calm down.

A few minutes later, the door opened again but much more aggressively and the light opened instantly. Tom ripped himself off Alexina and got up, pointing his gun in every direction until they fell on the man still hiding besides the desk. Harrison did as well, though he was a lot more dressed than Tom currently was. Alexina nervously nipped at her bottom lip, sitting up a little more to be able to see over Tom's shoulder. Not that she didn't appreciate the sight, but she wanted to know who had been hiding in her room for the past three days.