18

"You need to spend time crawling alone through shadows to truly appreciate what it is to stand in the sun

"You need to spend time crawling alone through shadows to truly appreciate what it is to stand in the sun." Shaun Hick

Harrison had left the room to take the phone call, leaving Penelope and Alexie to fend for themselves. The latter supposed it wasn't Tom who was calling otherwise Harrison would've told them instantly, right? Before she could overthink a simple phone call further, Penelope suggested a guided tour of the lodge - truly hoping she could ease Alexie's mind a little.

And she did, as Alexie was completely mesmerized by the beautiful lodge she was in. It was a very dreamy place, like one you'd see in an advertisement to get you to travel in a winter scenery. It wasn't heavily decorated and filled with furniture, it was just the bare minimum but it was perfect to her. Penelope showed her three rooms, mentioning that one of them was Harrison and her's and the other was Tom's. She told her she could use the third but completely left it up to her.

Penelope wouldn't dare say a word, but she knew the other woman slept in Tom's room - twice. She was a very light sleeper and she had learned to tell with precision which door was opening or closing. It was a skill she possessed that could be quite practical if she was ever put in danger - but she had never gotten to put it to use until then. So when she heard Tom's door open and close, then she heard Tom rushing and talking to Alexina - it confirmed it for her.

The woman didn't say anything else, she just let Alexie get settled in whilst she'd go check on Harrison. Alexie waited until Penelope walked down to stairs before heading to the door to her left. She put down the bag she had carefully been carrying with her this whole time. The woman put it on a chair in the corner of the room and unzipped it. She took the clothes out, looking at them with furrowed eyebrows.

She hadn't seen those clothes in a while, not since she was taken by Tom - at least. Alexie was confused by this. She definitely never packed this bag, so did Tom? It must have been in his room for a while, for she had never seen it. It blew her mind how he was always prepared for anything and how thoughtful he was - even if he didn't look it. She pulled out an old pyjamas, quickly changing into it before zipping the bag up and leaving the room. Slowly stepping down the stairs, she heard Harrison and Penelope's hushed whispers coming from the living room.

"- they're coming down here. I have to go look for him, Pen. I promised them I wouldn't let anything happen." Harrison spoke and as Alexie stepped down another step, she could have a view of the living room area while still being hidden from them. Harrison was frantically running his fingers through his hair as Penelope tried to hold his arms down in order to calm him down a little.

"I know, I know you promised Haz. But sometimes, promises are meant to be broken." She reasoned with him, her voice so soft and quiet so she wouldn't anger him. "Especially in this life that you lead."

Harrison weakly nodded and let himself fall down on the sofa in a sitting position. He rested his face between his hands and shook his head multiple times.