Chapter Twenty

Amelia crossed her arms over her chest as she waited, knee deep in snow. Her brown curls were hanging down to her stomach in ringlets while her hood hid the top part of her hair from the raging snow. She was just lucky that she had pulled on a pair of knee high green boots which saved her from getting wet socks. It was freezing so Amelia had stowed her clock away and wore a pair of jeans and a woolly jumper instead that kept her warm. She also had a jacket which she wrapped tighter around herself.

The train hooted loudly, making Amelia nearly jump out of her skin. She peered into the Hogwarts Express to see lots of students in the compartments already, talking excitedly about going home for the Christmas holidays. There was a rapping knock on the window and Amelia turned to see Lily, motioning for her to get in the train. Amelia bit her lip and held up one finger before turned back to the platform that was glazed over with lots of snow.

‘James!’ she shouted as she saw two figures walking towards her hand in hand. Amelia squinted in the snow and James appeared in front of her, straightening his slightly ruffled shirt and not bothering to fix his hair which was sticking up in all places. Amelia glared at her cousin, ‘I was worried you would miss the train! Now, come on!’

Amelia linked arms with her cousin as the train gave its final hoot. They trudged together through the snow that was still pouring down unto the ground. Amelia jumped and screamed aloud when she felt something cold slither down her back and then she heard James laugh, pulling her into the train. Once inside, and still laughing, James shut the door behind them just as the train began to move.

‘You git!’ Amelia yelled as the snow dripped onto the floor when she fanned out her jumper. She picked the snow up before it melted and through it at James who avoided it with a flick of his wand.

‘You’re just so cute, Amelia, thinking you can throw snow at me,’ James pinched her cheek and smiled when she frowned at him. He ran a hand through his hair and droplets of snow floated down.

‘Where were you anyway?’ Amelia asked, folding her arms over her chest. A few people walked past and Amelia found herself wondering where Scorpius was seated. She turned back to her cousin, ‘do you realise how long I was waiting for you?’

‘I never asked you to wait on me. I was with Sophie just saying goodbye since she’s not going home for the holidays,’ James shrugged and then smirked a little when Amelia raised her eyebrows at him, ‘don’t look at me like that.’

‘Hope you had fun and I hope you can go two weeks without kissing your girlfriend... you know I don’t like her,’ Amelia said coldly and moved closer to him as some people walked by in the narrow corridor. Amelia turned behind her to look at the boys that were walking by and her eyes met Scorpius’. He smiled at her as he strode past but glared at James with undisguised annoyance of his sheer existence.

‘I hate that boy,’ James muttered and Amelia watched Scorpius’ well toned back and muscles, that were not hid even in this cold weather, walk away from them. She bit her lip slightly. James was basically her twin and she hated hiding things from him. They shared everything when they were younger and told each other everything when they were teenagers. Amelia couldn't keep what she had with Scorpius a secret... she just couldn’t. James sighed, ‘we should be getting to our compartment.’

‘Listen, James,’ Amelia stopped him from going anywhere by putting a hand on his arm. James stopped and looked at her, raising his eyebrows expectantly. A few people were walking in the corridor so Amelia led James towards the train door where it was a little quieter. She watched the scenery which was plain white with snow, flash past.

‘Did they say anything else to you?’ asked James in a hushed voice, staring at her but Amelia didn't say anything. She shook her head, still watching the scenery. It had never been so difficult to talk to James before, why now? Amelia sighed as James raised his eyebrows. His hand pushed back her hair and he whispered, ‘what is it, Amelia?’