Chapter Thirty-One

The Hogwarts train billowed pillars of smoke in the air which slowly floated down to the many people on the platform. Harry, James, Albus, and Lily were already there when Fred and Amelia arrived. Fleur had come to drop off Dominique and Louis but had to leave early to go to Victoire’s which is why the two kids were standing with Harry and his children.

‘James!’ Amelia nearly yelled when she saw him. Leaving her bags for Fred to drag behind her, she ran and flung her arms around James’ neck, ‘Merlin, I missed you so much!’

‘Is it too late to start telling people I don’t know you?’ James asked, smirking as she pulled back and hit his arm. He grinned, ‘you know, I’m joking.’

‘It’s alright, I’ll carry the bags,’ Fred muttered as he finally caught up to them. Dominique smiled and offered to help as Amelia bit her lip and apologised. Fred held his hand out for Harry, ‘good seeing you, mate. Hermione told me to ask you, or whoever else is dropping the kids off, to come over for some lunch. What do you say?’

‘I thought Mum was too busy to drop me off here let alone have guests over,’ Amelia interrupted, grabbing her trunk and bag. Fred gave her a look that clearly thought she was naive. Amelia sighed, ‘I’m going to put the bags in the train.’

‘I’ll help,’ James offered, taking her trunk from Amelia. Fred sighed, shaking his head as Amelia went into the train without a backwards glance.

Amelia got onto the train and realised that this would be her second last time on this Hogwarts train, the last being when she had completed her final year of studying and returned home. That thought made her a little uncomfortable just thinking about the future. Amelia followed James to the cabin where her cousins would be sitting and she dumped her stuff there.

‘So... are you going to tell me about it?’ James asked, walking across the compartment and towards the window where he could see Fred and Harry talking. James turned back to Amelia, ‘since you didn’t send me any letters after the engagement party.’

‘Tell you about what exactly?’ Amelia asked, taking a seat on the long chairs and crossing her legs. James smirked, sitting next to her and turning so that they were facing each other. Amelia laughed at the look on his face, ‘James, what are you talking about?’

‘I mean, Amelia, are you going to tell me about your mother and Malfoy? Their “affair”?’ James asked, frowning, ‘I can’t believe that was the reason your mum didn't want you to be with his kid.’

‘James, she’s being selfish and that’s the end of it,’ Amelia shook her hand, playing with a long strand of her hair as James followed her hand with his eyes. She glanced at him, ‘I do love him a lot but it’s hard when my own parents actively try to stop me from being with him especially after what they went through.’

‘So, what?’ James asked, glancing at her and then looking out the window uncomfortably. Amelia sighed, waiting until he looked back and asked, ‘does this mean you and Malfoy are officially together?’

‘Well... yeah,’ Amelia giggled, smiling at the thought, ‘Mum won’t be happy but whatever. I’m not doing this for her.’

The train sounded its alarm that it was going to leave soon. Amelia and James both heard the clamour of parents and students outside, saying goodbye and getting on the train. Amelia went over to the window and looked out, watching Fred walk over to her. 

‘You better behave, I don’t think I can convince your Mum not to storm down to Hogwarts if you do something bad,’ Fred said and kissed her cheek, ‘and don’t do anything stupid, alright?’

‘I would never,’ Amelia rolled her eyes but Fred only leaned his arms on the window sill and stared at her. Amelia sighed, ‘Dad, I’ll be fine!’