Chapter Four

The weeks travelled by in a daze for Hermione. It seemed like her stomach was getting bigger and bigger which marked time in itself. She had got a job in a small book store in Diagon Alley although the owner was reluctant to give her the job since she was pregnant. But he had reconsidered and now Hermione worked there from 10 in the morning to 4 in the evening and sometimes she worked later if it meant making more money.

Living in Ron’s house was a little uncomfortable at first since they both felt awkward being around each other. As the days turned into weeks, Hermione loosened up a bit around him although not too much. She had an inkling that he still liked her, a lot more than just a friend or room mate, but he wasn’t acting on his impulse. They talked a lot and Hermione even began looking forward to meeting him when the clock neared the time he was coming home.

Fred haunted her every thought, was the back to her every decision and she avoided ever talking about him with Ron. She felt sorry for her child since it looked like it wouldn’t have a father to grow up with and money was going to be so tight for them. Hermione worried herself constantly by the thoughts of the future. She could hardly live with Ron for her whole life. That was one of the reasons she had taken up by a job. The other was to get her mind off things since sitting in the house meant a lot of free time for her brain.

December crept up on them like a shadow and Hermione, for the first time in her life, was not looking forward to Christmas. In fact, she had forgotten all about it until Ron put up a tree in the living room using magic. The tree was bright and glowed through the window. Snow lined the cobbled pavements and everyone had started to wear hats, gloves and extra socks. Magic was really in the air now and Diagon Alley was lit up like the Worlds Fair.

---

 She was in the book store and the snow was falling heavily outside, coating the already coated layer of snow on the streets. Hermione was just about to lock the door when a hand banged on the glass, scaring her and making her stagger backwards a little. The door was pushed open and Hermione nearly fell but she grabbed the table behind her and looked at the man coming into the shop with annoyance as she realised that he wasn’t a threat but was more of a late customer. The man had cupped his hand and was blowing warm air into them and shivering. Hermione stood up, her annoyance was augmenting as the night air blew in through the open door.

 ‘Sir, we’re closed. You can’t just...’ Hermione wandered away from her sentence as she recognised who had just entered the shop. Her heart dropped six feet into the ground and her mouth fell open, ‘what the hell are you doing here?’

Draco Malfoy looked up at her, his blonde hair was in his eyes and Hermione felt like she had to reach out and push it back... she didn't, thankfully, even though she really wanted to. Draco wasn’t surprised to see her at all, it was as though he came over here especially for Hermione... and maybe he did, Hermione told herself. Something was different about him... it was almost like this Draco was a little more attractive in her eyes but then she had to remind herself that she had always been attracted to Draco.

‘Granger, I missed you,’ his voice was deeper and so immodest that it made blood rush to her face in waves. She knew that if she opened her mouth, she would utter nonsense so she kept her mouth shut and just smiled at him. 

They stared at each other, both of them feeling the same attraction to each other. Hermione heard a faint voice from the depths of the library but ignored it as Draco’s eyes glowed in the thin lighting. He raised his hand and very slowly his hand wove through her hair for a second, brushing her neck as he followed her hair down to wear it ended. Hermione closed her eyes feeling his hands on her neck tickle her in a sensational way.

‘Mia,’ he whispered.

A frown creased on her forehead at the name... and the voice. Only Fred called her Mia, only Fred. That was his nickname and Draco was the one who addressed her by her surname. Hermione opened her eyes to look into familiar blue eyes that made her heart swell up into her throat. Fred Weasley was standing in front of her instead of Draco Malfoy. Her confusion peaked but then trailed off as she realised that Fred had wrapped his arms around her waist. She had missed his touch so much that she didn't care if she was dreaming or not. He was smiling down at her and Hermione, leaving her confusion aside, smiled back.