Chapter Fourteen

Amelia felt James hand on her arm, steadying her from acting too quickly. James had a smirk on his face and he seemed not to blink while Amelia, looking quite like her cousin, had a mischievous glint in her eyes which shone like a full moon. She held the long, slightly curved, wand in her hand. The 10 inch wand was entwined with a dragon heart string core which could be seen as the end of the wand was a little opened but it was useable. The wand was made of the finest vine wood and was incredible at transfiguration which happened to be Amelia’s favourite subject.

‘You’re leaning on me,’ James breathed next to her ear.

Amelia didn't say anything but she did take the weight of her arm on his. A strand of her hair was across her eye and over her cheek like a scar. She pushed it away with her free hand and then flicked her wand lithely to the ceiling and then back down. The red balloon floated upwards, in synchronisation with her wand, and the yellow and orange liquid inside it seemed to create waves against the bursting balloon; Amelia felt sick just looking at it but adrenaline was pumping right through her.

‘I think we should stop...’ James said apprehensively and he crouched lower, next to Amelia, ‘we’re going to get in so much trouble!’

‘IF we get caught. Come on, Potter, don’t be so doubtful of our abilities,’ Amelia said, ginning as she did every time James got scared. It was usually when they were just about to do the prank and he would get that shaky feeling, ‘are you in or are you out? I can do this myself, you know that.’

‘Amelia-’

‘Miss Weasley! Mr Potter!’

Amelia and James closed their eyes for a second when they heard the usual strict voice that caught them in their prank. They opened their eyes and looked to one another. James shook his head at her as though he was telling her I-told-you-so. Amelia just grinned, at least she wasn’t in trouble alone for once. The balloon in front of them turned to ashes and slowly floated to the floor as the two cousins stood up and turned around to face their fate in the form of Professor McGonagall, the Headmistress of Hogwarts.

‘Every year, Miss Weasley, you never fail to get in trouble! I was hoping this year would be different but it seems not to be. Your mother was a very studious girl and when she was alone, she didn't get into trouble. Of course, when Mr Potter and Mr Weasley were with her, that was a different story,’ McGonagall spouted out in anger, drawing herself to her full height. She stared at Amelia, ‘that being said, you  are very much like your father. The amount of times they got into trouble for soiling the Hogwarts grounds; you aren’t worse than the Weasley twins,’ Amelia laughed shamelessly and covered her mouth when McGonagall’s nostrils flared, ‘that is not something to be proud of!’

‘Sorry, Professor, it’s in my genes. I can’t help it!’ Amelia explained although the smile she seemed to openly keep on her face didn’t disappear. She knew McGonagall liked her and that she was only being like this because she had to try and stop them. Amelia grabbed James’ arm and sighed, ‘he was trying to stop me so it’s really not James’ fault.’

‘How noble of you to stand up for your cousin, Miss Weasley,’ McGonagall said, raising her pencil thin eyebrows and regarding Amelia as though she was playing a mind trick on her, ‘follow me to my office... both of you.

‘Well, we’re in this together,’ Amelia said as they walked behind the strict professor.

‘I hate you,’ James stated simply, swinging his arms as he walked. Amelia nudged him with her shoulder slightly and he sighed, looking over at her.

‘Now we are even, I guess. You read my letters, I got you in trouble,’ Amelia whispered, ‘let’s start with a clean slate this year.’

‘Did I mention I hate you?’ James glared straight ahead as they went down some stairs.