Chapter Twenty-Three

Smoke billowed around the floor where Amelia and Scorpius had just disapparated. Fred watched the smoke and soon it disappeared; leaving no sign of her daughter behind. He felt his arm become prickly and a far away thought was that Hermione was clutching his arm so tight the blood had stopped flowing. He opened his mouth but nothing came out. There was only silence. Fred grabbed Hermione’s hand and led her into the kitchen, banging the door behind him.

‘Dominique, James,’ Harry muttered under his breath and took his son’s arm. James looked up at him with eyes that couldn't recognise his own father. Harry frowned, ‘go upstairs and don’t talk about this to anyone.’

Dominique obeyed at once and tugged on James’ hand who shot her a death glare and ripped his hand out of hers. Dominique widened her blue eyes at her cousin but he took no notice so she took her broom and went upstairs.

‘Where has she gone?’ James asked Harry, his hands turning steadily into fists. He could feel his veins on his arm but he just shoved his hands in his pockets and looked Harry straight in the eyes, ‘bring her back.’

‘You know I can’t, son,’ Harry muttered, for the first time he realised just how much older James was getting. He could remember him coming up to Harry‘s stomach and now he was staring straight into his eyes. Harry slowly laid a hand on his shoulder, ‘she’s apparated with him and could be anywhere by now.’

‘Dad, I need to find her,’ James tried to plead but Harry shook his head firmly.

‘You will not go after her,’ Harry said firmly, his grip tightened on James’ shoulder while James’ glare intensified. Ginny touched Harry’s arm to get his to loosen his grip but he waved her away and looked back at James, ‘give it up, son. This is not our family business and you are not going to get involved. Go upstairs, comfort Lily and don’t tell Albus what happened. I think we’ll be going home soon.’

‘Harry, Christmas is tomorrow!’ Ginny cried out and crossed her arms over her chest, ‘we can’t go home!’

‘James, go upstairs,’ Harry ignored his wife. James didn't move one inch and his eyes didn't waver at all. There was shouting coming from the kitchen and they all recognised Draco’s voice but didn't acknowledge it. Harry was losing his patience now, ‘go upstairs, right now! James!’

James turned on his heel, grabbed his broom and took off. Although he did not go upstairs, instead he marched out of the front door. Harry sighed as James got onto his broom and kicked up, soaring into the sky. Ginny lay a hand on his arm and her head rested on his shoulder.

‘Let him go, Harry. He’ll be back soon,’ she muttered.

---

Fred grabbed Hermione’s hand and led her into the kitchen which was thankfully empty. She shot Ginny an apologetic look which was not returned back since the door shut behind them. Hermione turned nervously to watch Fred as he leaned over the counter with his head in his hands. She was glad Mr and Mrs Weasley were not here, nor anyone else.

‘Fred?’ Hermione muttered, not knowing what to say or what to do.

She walked forwards, her shoes clicking on the wooden floor. Fred didn't look up at her at all so she leaned over and touched his face with her fingers. What Hermione expected was him to turn to her and hold her in his arms but he didn’t do that. Instead he did the thing she didn't expect him to do. Fred jerked away from her touch and turned his back on her, facing the window.

‘Fred, love, what’s wrong?’ Hermione asked and boldly touched his shoulder. He shrugged her off and shook his head; his red hair, getting a little too long, flopped from side to side.