Chapter Three

‘I can just leave?’ asked Hermione as though she was unsure whether the Healer was lying or not.

Hermione was standing by her hospital bed with two of her suitcases that she had packed at Fred’s apartment. Machines beeped stably around her and the window was open, letting in fresh air that Hermione couldn’t wait to taste. She was aware that Harry was waiting for her outside even though she had told him not to but he had insisted. Her stomach felt heavier than usual but she could walk, thankfully. Hermione eyed the Healer curiously as she nervously twisted her fingers. She was more nervous to get out of the hospital after spending a three days cooped up in here. The Healer was a well built man with hair that was showing a little grey, reflecting his age. He had a long nose and smelled strongly of coffee and a little hospital smell which seemed to have dissolved into his clothes from all those years in his field of work.

‘Yes, you can leave but I have to urge you to take it easy. Don’t lift heavy things, don’t take any stress and drink lots of water. Water is best for the baby right now and of course a healthy diet,’ the Healer encouraged her, checking her as though he was checking things off a list. He closed the file and placed it on the hospital bed. Hermione was sure he was going to let her leave now but he stopped and turned to her, lips pursed together as he studied her, ‘Hermione Granger. I hope I never have to treat you for any fatal wound after everything you have been through. I remember reading your name in the Daily Prophet and  I just know how lucky this child is going to be, having such a brave mother. I kept wishing you and Harry Potter and Ron Weasley would just defeat... he-who-must-not-be-named and when you did, you should have seen the parties that went on in the early hours of the day. Truly incredible.’

 ‘I get that a lot,’ Hermione nodded at him and the Healer raised his eyebrows as if to say I-bet-you-do. This was another thing that Hermione was worried about. Her child would have to grow up with a famous mother, speculations, accusing glares when they found out who the father was and why Hermione split up with him. She didn't want that for her child but was she worrying about something that wouldn’t happen? She hoped so.

‘I hope the next time you’re here is when you’re delivering that baby,’ he said with a meaningful look. He truly cared for her and that little fact warmed Hermione’s heart as she nodded at him and thanked him for everything he had helped her with. Without him she would have lost her baby, she was sure. The Healer nodded and muttered, ‘take it easy.’

‘I will,’ Hermione gave him a small smile.

The air in the hospital seemed to be leaning on her, bringing her down as a figure of speech goes. She wanted to get out of here before she started to hyperventilate and that couldn't be good for either her or the baby. Thoughts rushed about her head as she went to the door. Where was she going to live? She couldn't live with Harry since he was about to get married and Ginny probably hated her because of what happened with Fred. Ginny hadn’t visited her in hospital and Harry had assured her that was because she was pregnant and was organising the wedding but a little glint in his eyes proved otherwise. Hermione left the room and looked around at the waiting area outside. Chairs were glued to the walls and little tables held newspapers, magazines and toys for kids to play with as they waited. People were waiting anxiously, some biting their nails and others looking extremely worried. Hermione looked around for Harry.

‘Hermione!’ a voice called out to her. The voice was very familiar but it was not Harry’s and she knew that for sure. Before Hermione could even blink or take a breath, arms were wrapping themselves around her and the hugger was sighing with relief and talking with a relived and happy tone, ‘when Ginny told me you were in the hospital... I... I couldn’t begin to imagine... but you’re okay! Bloody hell, I-’