Chapter 23

Winter's P.O.V

The shuttering of the curtain blinds woke me up. The sunlight seeping in, momentarily blinded me, making me shut my eyes as soon as I opened them. I pulled the blanket closer, not wanting to get up from my deep slumber. Getting a good night's sleep, was a rare occurrence for me. A gentle kiss on my forehead made me narrow my eyes into slits and smile.

"Rise and shine, pumpkin!" My Dad's gravelly voice reached my ears. I spread my arms out for him to hug me and he did hug me. He pulled me up and sat on the edge of the bed. 

I rubbed the sleep out of my eyes and greeted, "Good morning, Dad!"

"Do remember what's today?" He asked. His voice sounded disembodied as I was still trying to get my mind to wake up.

I nodded a no, my eyes closed.

"Today's Ciara's recital..." he answered.

Suddenly, my mind was awake and my eyes fluttered open, "Sweet Satan! Why didn't you wake me up?! We're gonna be late! We didn't miss it, right? She wanted me to be there! I promised her!" My mind had already started to assume the worst

"Lord! We haven't missed anything! There's still an hour to the recital!"

"Only an hour? Dad, if we reach even a minute late, we will miss out on it!" 

"Jesus Christ! I didn't order for a overly-worried daughter! I want a refund!" 

I pouted at him, "I don't love you anymore."

"That's okay! Winter Addington might not love me but my pumpkin sure does!" He retorted, smartly.

I chuckled. 

"Freshen up! Rose is already making breakfast!" 

I nodded. With a pat on my head, he left the room. I got up, made my bed and stumbled to bathroom. I brushed my teeth and took a quick 10-minute shower.

It's been three months since I came to Canada. Three months since I took a break from my career. Three months of realizing how much I needed this. I didn't realize how much I missed being a normal girl. I definitely didn't realize how much I missed being around my parents. Dad has been waking me up everyday like that for the past fifteen years and I can never get enough of it. I have been eating Mom's handmade mouth-watering food and just gossiping with her. I spend most of the day with Ciara, helping her out with homework and dropping and picking her up from school.

It was quite frustrating in the beginning. I would get annoyed because I had nothing to do. Mom and Dad had forbidden me from working, essentially making music and I did throw a tantrum. They grounded me for 3 days for that. 

Yes! I got freaking grounded at the age of 18! 

Thankfully, my 19 year-old self was safe from the clutches of punishment so far. I had my 19th birthday two months ago. I spent it with my own family, watching movies and baking. It was the most peaceful birthday till date. There were no paparazzi waiting outside. No fans screaming for me to show up. It was just me and my family. That's all.

I wore my maroon Gryffindor hoodie and pulled up a pair of black jeans. The waistband of the jeans sat loosely against my hips, making it drop a little lower every time I pulled it up. I looked at myself in the mirror.

I looked sick, like really sick. My face looked smaller than ever. My waist was too tiny for my liking. I pulled up the hem of the hoodie and noticed my ribs poking out. I looked freaking malnourished. My grey eyes seemed to have lost their shine. 

Wow! So, much for being a musician. 

I knew exactly why I was starting to look like that. And now, I understood why my parents were petrified when they saw me. I didn't notice my health deteriorate to this extent. I could see the veins and bones poking out of my body. My face was drained of its colour.