Chapter 40

Third Person P.O.V

Tension engulfed the atmosphere as Winter entered her hotel room, followed by Jonah. Neither of them said a word.

After everything that happened today, Winter had decided to ignore her boyfriend. He did not have the right to cause a scene like that. Especially in front of strangers. She hated the fact that Evan and Joe had to witness the scene that went down between them.

"Princess, you still not gonna talk to me?" He asked.

Winter took off her shoes and slipped on some flip-flops, "Go back, Jonah."

He crouched in front of her with guilty eyes, "Just listen to me. I'm sorry! I just got too jealous."

"Jealous? You almost ripped his head off! Jonah, he's your friend! A really good friend!"

"I can't stand someone else making you laugh and smile the way that I do!"

Winter stood up abruptly, "Jonah, no one makes me laugh and smile like you do! But you have to understand that I just can't stop laughing and smiling if it's not because or with you!"

Jonah faced her, standing up as well, "You can keep some distance."

A frown crossed her face, "I wasn't even chilling with him. I was just dying his hair that crazy blue colour that Daniel wanted!"

Jonah crossed his arms, "You were flirting with him!"

It was out before Jonah could even think over what he was saying. He accused Winter of something that he didn't mean to. In the heat of the moment, it just spurred out. He sighed and went forward to hold her.

Winter stepped backwards. She didn't expect to hear any kinds of those words from the only person who shielded her from the blazing fire around her.

Usually, it wouldn't be such a big deal but taking into consideration her previous relationship, it wasn't exactly the best thing to say to her.

Fuming, she spat, "You don't know anything. Stop accusing me of stuff that you do. At least, I had the decency to not make a scene out of it!"

Jonah was confused. He couldn't comprehend a single word coming out of her mouth. Puzzled, he asked, "What?!"

"Don't play dumb! You let those fans flirt with you when your freaking girlfriend was around! You let them kiss your cheek or touch you and it made me... it made me so infuriated!"

"That's a part of my job, Winter! It's not that I can do anything about it!"

The heartbroken girl scoffed, "It's a part of your job?! Amazing! Just amazing! That way even Eben is my friend!!! All I did was HELP DYE HIS HAIR!"

"If you had so much of a "problem", you could've made your point! Instead, you chose to sit on the sidelines and act like it didn't affect you!" The enraged boy argued.

Winter pulled on hair, "You don't even make sense! Do you even realize the ruckus it would've created?! Do you even realize how the media would've gobbled this up?! What if someone had recognized me?"

"Oh yeah! The only thing you care about is your reputation. Apart from that, nothing matters to you!"

"I never said that!"

"You implied that!"

"So, what?! Yeah, I have to worry about my reputation! I AM A PART OF THE TOP TIER! I HAVE SOME STANDARDS IN THE INDUSTRY!" Winter screamed, frustrated by the argument they were having. 

Her eyes widened when she realized what she had just said. She clapped her hands over her mouth.

Winter's mother always said that she didn't have a control over her mouth wherever she was angry. Winter would always end up saying stuff she didn't mean. In the haze of her anger, the brunette would often forget about who she was talking to. Sometimes, she would scream out statements that had nothing had to do with the topic at hand.

The shocked expression on Jonah's face conveyed it all. She didn't mean what she said. But it hit home.

Jonah always worried about their positions in the industry. He always hoped that it wouldn't be a problem in their relationship. However, it did.

He ran his hands through his hair and closed his eyes. When the hurtful statement began to sink in, he laughed. He laughed. He didn't know how to react. The whole thing sounded so absurd that he couldn't help it. 

Winter's heart ached at the sight. She headed towards him in hopes that he'll forgive her, "Jo, I didn't mean..."

"So, this is what it was all about." Jonah began.

Winter stopped in her tracks.

Glancing at the ceiling, he chuckled, "That's what this is all about... Well played, Winter. I didn't know that I was below your standards... Thank you for letting me know."

Tears pooled in her eyes. She hated herself for what she said.

"This was an act." His voice cracked.

"No, Jo-"

He held up his hand, making Winter shut her mouth. He stared right into her eyes, "I believed everything you said and did... I didn't... for a second... doubt your feelings for me. But you just played me... Well done." He clapped his hands. Dropping his gaze, he turned around, "I am such a fool! I thought that we weren't disclosing our relationship because you were scared that the media would ruin this... So naïve of me to believe you."

He groaned and rubbed his face furiously. He paced around the room, repeating one line over and over again,  "I fell in love with you. I fell in love with you. I fell in love with you..."

Winter's heart broke with every word coming out of Jonah's mouth. She couldn't believe that she made such a huge mistake. She knew her anger would become a huge problem later. She knew. But she never did anything.

And maybe today, she would lose her best thing because of her.

It was almost like the last time.

But this time, she was truly at fault.

She tried fixing the situation at hand. She moved towards him with heavy tears rolling down her face, "Jo, I really didn't mean it. I didn't mean to say that... I swear it was just in th..."

"Do you love me?" Jonah interrupted.

Winter froze.

He faced her and asked her the same question with more intensity, "Do you love me?"

Her lips parted.

Winter couldn't form words. It was almost like she had forgotten how to talk. Her mind was unable to comprehend what was happening.

"DO. YOU. LOVE. ME?"

All she answered Jonah's question with, was silence.

Jonah's eyes were puffed from holding in the threatening tears. If Winter never had feelings for him, then she didn't deserve to see him vulnerable. His fists clenched and unclenched. His stare was so intense that it could send anyone cowering.

It felt as if he couldn't recognize the girl standing in front of him. His heart couldn't believe that his Princess, his crown, his world... would ever do anything like that. But his mind and senses said otherwise. In that moment, he felt so betrayed by her silence that all he wanted to do was turn away and leave.

After waiting for what felt like years, Jonah scoffed and did exactly that.

"Jonah, if you walk out of that door, we're done!" Winter warned, ignoring the shudders that travelled through her body.

He stopped in his tracks, holding onto that last streak of courage in him. He wiped a stray tear and walked out, mumbling,

"I won't fight for love if you won't meet me halfway."

------------------------
AUTHOR'S NOTE:-

Dear readers,
So, this is the last chapter. This is it.

You guys can hate me for this ending but it was for the best. You have to realize where Jonah is coming from. I believe that it was right for Jonah to get angry over the statement Winter made.

Love you guys so much!

Yours,
Athena.