10

"It is better to light one small candle than to curse the darkness

"It is better to light one small candle than to curse the darkness." Roosevelt

Alexina walked downstairs and was instantly met with chatter and the welcoming smell of men's perfume. There were more men than she first thought there would be and the stares she got made her quite uncomfortable. She wasn't used to the attention from young men and she didn't want it. Ever since she was young, she was brought to multiple events in order to show her off - either it was her dad or Ryan. She knew how to act, how to speak and how to look pretty. She also - sadly - knew how to deal with the stares and inappropriate flirty comments from older men, but young men? She wasn't sure and it made her uncomfortable.

Alexie looked around the room, desperate to spot the red haired woman she had grown to appreciate. But she failed, she was nowhere in sight and neither were Tom or Harrison. It made her panic. She didn't know or trust any of these men and now she was stuck in a room with them. As her breathing picked up, she walked around the room trying to distract herself and at the same time find someone she knew. When she made it to the kitchen, an arm wrapping itself around her waist stopped her from getting any further. She prayed to God it was Harrison or Tom, but the hold on her was too harsh to be either of them. Harrison was just straight up gentle whilst Tom usually went for the gentle yet rough looking approach. She froze on the spot, realizing it wasn't someone she knew. The woman turned around to look at the man who held her so tight. Her eyes widened when she saw him, fear and relief?

"So we meet again, love." Josh smirked at her, pushing her flush against his chest. She swallowed harshly, deciding to put everything she was taught to do to use. Alexina was sure Tom had killed him. She hadn't heard from him ever since the incident. Tom hadn't denied her accusations of him killing Josh and neither had Harrison, was it because Tom never did kill him? Why would they let her think so?

"You- I thought you were dead." She said, her voice shaking as she tried to take a step backwards and out of his grip. It didn't work though, his grip was too strong. The woman stayed in place, trying to power through whatever emotions she was feeling. Was she scared? Feeling betrayed? Confused? She wasn't sure but she knew it wasn't anything positive.

"Yeah? Well surprise, love. I hope you're glad to see me." He spoke in a fake sweet tone, making her heart beat quicker and louder in her ribcage. Scared, that's what she was feeling. She couldn't find the right words to say next, after all, there wasn't much to say to a man she barely knew yet scared her more than anyone else - and that was saying something considering she was in a room full of mobsters.

"I thought I told you to leave her the fuck alone." Another voice growled from behind them and Alexina instantly recognized the voice. Even though it was harsh and rough, the sound of his voice made her feel safer. Josh, on the other hand, looked anything but relaxed. He tensed up and immediately let go of Alexie's wrist. The woman took a step back in hope to get away but her back hit someone else's front. Hands holding her shoulders kept her steady as she prepared to jump forward. Tom held her steady against his chest, one hand making it's way to her hip. She instantly relaxed when she realized it wasn't someone she didn't know.