21. AWAKE

Valentina

Before Cain could continue his story, if there was more to tell. We were interrupted by the one man I did not want to be anywhere near right now, "let go of her!" His voice didn't waver, it was powerful as he tried to bend Cain to his will.

Well screw you Alpha.

"Jace, d-don't come near me right now and leave Cain alone!" I yelled to him, my hands tightening their grip on Cains arms, he was the only one keeping me on my feet right now.

"What did you tell her?" Jace growled, his shoulders tense as he approached.

I quickly released Cain and stood in front of him to block Jace.

"I only told her the truth, brother."

Jace let out another vicious growl but made no move to push me out of the way. I crossed my arms and held my head high, making sure not to look weakened once again in front of him. I am not weak, I don't need him or his love.

Im the rogue.

"You hold a grudge against your own brother for another woman. One you loved enough to sacrifice your own mate. And then you claim to love me?" Jace stilled at my words and a look of regret crossed his face.

"I didn't know what having a mate would be like, I didn't know you in that time Valentina."

"But if you had met me then? You'd have chosen her because you already loved her!" He flinched at my words but made no move to deny them which only fueled the fire, "i don't blame you for falling in love Jace. I mean it's normal for men to be weak and not wait for their mate," I kept myself from breaking in front of him, "It just hadn't crossed my mind that you were one of those weak men. Stop blaming your brother because you're angry that she left you. Man up and fucking talk to him and actually listen to him."

Before he could make a move towards me, which I knew he was itching to do, I ran. Im not sure if he chased me at all, maybe he listened and stayed to talk to his brother. Hopefully he understood that I needed space. A lot of it before I come to any decision. I did a bunch of turns as I ran, before jumping in the lake in the forest to throw him off my scent and running again. I ran straight to the one place he probably wouldn't think to look.

To Xaviers cell.

"Xavier," I whispered, seeing he was now awake.

"Valentina," he said hesitantly, staying far from the cell door, as if he were afraid that I'd be afraid of him.

He was cured now he's my Xavier again. How can I fear that goof?

"Were you crying?" He asked, when he noticed how pink my face currently was.

"No," he knew I was lying so I dropped the act, "okay I was, I just found out some hard to hear news. Xavier, what do you remember?"

He laid back on the bed he had been given. I knew this was probably a hard subject for him and felt guilty for pushing him.

"I'm sorry, how about I tell you about my problems? You dont have to talk about anything yet, I know you've been living a nightmare for a long time."

When he didn't respond and stared blankly at the ceiling I continued, " my mate and his brother fell in love with the same girl. And now he hates his brother because he blames him for her leaving. Oh and hes the alpha, we have one son together. I hope soon you can meet him," when that still didn't pull a response I thought I'd mention something important to him, "your mate, Amada. She's still alive and still loves you. We all know what happened wasn't your fault. She missed you, I missed you."

He sat up so quickly I almost flinched, but when his arms wrapped around me and he started sobbing I quickly pushed away that feeling of fear. This is Xavier, my best friend, "I missed you, Val."

And then we were both sobbing.

We were like that for a while before he stopped and we both made our way out of the cell. He shouldn't have to stay there like a prisoner. Not when he's been a prisoner in his own mind for so long. He held my hand tightly as the sun hit his eyes and the people standing around eyed both of us with guarded eyes. I felt him tighten his grip and I glared at all of the people watching us.

They immediately looked away and we continued on our way to the main house. Not before I stopped to tell Makayla to bring him some ice cream. Then I took him to a guest room and borrowed him clothes from Jack who happily offered before asking me how I'd repay him.

In response I gave him one of my crop tops and he actually took it.

"You know any crush or love you feel for another person who isn't your mate, the minute you meet your mate that person ceases to matter. No matter how much you loved the person before them, that love is nothing compared to the feeling you get when you meet your mate. I don't think it's possible that your mate could've or would've chosen her."

"Im sure Jace would appreciate you saying that. I'm just picturing myself in his shoes. If I loved another man, it wouldn't matter to me that Jace was my other half. I'd have chosen the man I loved because I wouldn't have known Jace personally."

As hard as it is to believe, I'm not purposely trying to ruin what Jace and I have. But things keep getting in the way. Mason, Xavier, Xaviers curse, being apart of the pack and now this woman. It was all a mess and the only big thing tying me to Jace is our son. I can't take his son from him.

I shook away the thoughts and Xavier didn't respond, choosing to eat the ice cream Makayla had sent with someone. I excused myself and told him to make himself comfortable before hugging him and making my way to the room I had with Jace. I found my backpack in Jaces closet and started shoving as much of my things in there as I could.

"Valentina, put that away," I held back a growl and continued with what I was doing.

When both of my hands were roughly pulled behind me, I threw clothes at him with my mind and shoes and anything I could see. But he held himself and me steady as if it didn't hurt. His arm wrapped around my waist as one hand held me still by my arms. I shivered when he leaned down to speak as closely to my face as possible, "you're not going anywhere."

"Fuck you," I growled, struggling even more.

"I'll fuck you," he responded, making me want to melt in his arms. I can't help it if his dominant tendencies turn me on.

But I stopped myself and continued struggling, "you wish you still could. Touch me in that way and I swear I'll hate you forever. Why don't you go and search for your witch from the past huh?"

"You don't understand, if she were here now I wouldn't choose her over you-"

I interrupted him, knowing he'd be unable to deny what I tell him, "and if I had shown up earlier? When you loved her, when she was still here? I'm not leaving Jace, because of our son but I am going to sleep in a different room."

"Like hell you are. And I don't know Valentina, I don't know because I was a different person back then. But it never happened, what is happening now is what matters."

"I'm sorry Jace, but I'm the type of person who focuses on the what if's. The what if's do matter to me. You fell in love with someone else, knowing that I was out there. That your mate was out there. You don't get to have me now just because she left you. You sacrificed me the moment you fell in love with her."

His grip on my arms loosened and i quickly turned and grabbed him by the neck. The urge to just strangle him was strong. But the defeated look in his eyes made me stop. I let him go and shoved everything back into the backpack.

"I'll take the room close by, I just need time. A lot of time, please," I murmured not meeting his gaze as I left the room.

Maybe time will help, maybe time will fix this.

But I don't know how to let this go.

What if she comes back for him?