20. FOR HER

Valentina

"Jace Jr!" I called to him happily, it was the first time I'd seen him since returning. He had been with Jack most of the time since arriving.

And god how I'd missed the little rascal.

He fell off of the bed that him and Jack had been on in surprise. But then jumped up and into my arms as if nothing had happened. Reminds me of how he has no sense of self preservation. The boy once fell out of a tree because he wanted to fly and ended up crying but I'm sure he'd have done it again because Blake had told him before (completely unaware that this would spur him on) that you can do anything you set your mind to.

"Mommy," he murmured as I held him before continuing, "where's daddy?"

Daddy.

I could literally feel myself slamming up every defensive wall inside of me at the word. My wolf was ready to accept Jace, she always has been. And the mother in me, the one who wants Jace to have a happy family with a mother and a father was glad to accept him as well. But the rogue? The biggest part of who I am?

He's my mate, but he's an alpha.

I told him I'd try and I will. But I won't let him take advantage and attempt to boss me around. We will be equals or we will be nothing. The mate bond is pretty much impossible to break unless I have sex with someone else. I'm not willing to go to such lengths and I can't run anymore. So I don't know what to do if this goes wrong...

Could there be a spell to sever a mate bond?

I'll ask Makayla later on, I need to have a backup plan in case this pack thing goes up in flames.

"Daddy's with someone right now," I responded after I pulled myself out of my own thoughts, "what were you guys doing?" the amusement leaked into my voice as I stared at the teddy bear that was ripped open and laying on the bed, with its stuffing everywhere.

"Fixin him," Jace Jr. said with a sigh as if that was all the explanation I needed.

I glanced at Jack and he sighed, "I was telling him about our pack healers and he said he wants to be one when he's older. I guess the fact that he's not a witch didn't matter to him. He's a determined little guy," Jack trailed off as he watched Jace Jr. begin to shove more stuffing inside of the bear.

I guess Jace didn't explain to Jack that Jace Jr. is a witch..

Then again who knows what his powers will be. Sure he could learn healing spells but would his powers themselves be healing powers? And if silver witches aren't terrible and don't trigger their powers by doing something terrible then what was it?

I broke my mate bond multiple times. I rebelled against Mason even though he was my alpha. I'm sure those two things were connected to my witch blood in some way, I just didn't know how. And if it takes that to trigger it then I hope Jace Jr. never gets his powers.

I hope nothing ever makes him want to break his mate bond or go against his alpha. Though if he chooses a rogue lifestyle, he might just trigger it...

"Penny for your thoughts?" Jack said as Jace Jr. Walked off to look for clothes to change into after his bath.

"I'm just worried, About the pack and the grey cloud that's looming over all of our heads now because of me. I did a lot of things when I was a rogue. I'm the reason someone died. What if that is what this revenge is about? What if I deserve it Jack?" I murmured, letting all of my worries out in one breath.

Jack looked at me with confusion and sympathy, a thing I had always hated seeing on anyone's face when they looked at me, "Valentina, no matter what happened in your past you're here now. You're loved by many and yet you're going to let one person who you hurt unintentionally tell you that you're bad? That you deserve to die?" His words hit me hard and I held back tears.