17. QUE SERA SERA

Valentina

You'd think that after being dragged off, straddling my sexy mate we'd have ended up having sex on the forest floor. As amazing as that wouldve been, me wailing like a baby pretty much ruined the mood.

"Go away," I muttered childishly, "I'm not fuckable at the moment so please leave."

I could feel Jace's glare as I crouched on the floor curling into a ball angrily. Right now I just hate everything. My thoughts are all tangled up and I hate myself. If I had never been born Jace would probably have gotten a loving mate. He would be happy and his pack would be happy. If I had never been born my father wouldn't feel sad for not being able to protect me. My mom or well my stepmother wouldn't have to watch my dad suffer. My little brother would be happier without an absent sister as well. Maybe my real mother would have never broken the mate bond with my father.

Life would be perfect for everyone.

"Stop thinking stupid things, Valentina."

"I would, but I'm not thinking stupid things. I'm thinking realistically."

He crouched down to where I sat, wrapping his arm around my shoulder. I met his gaze and for a moment, I let myself enjoy this. I let myself enjoy him. Him being here with me. But only for a moment. Reality came crashing down on me when we heard them.

Shouting and chaos is what greeted us when we returned. The witches were on one side arguing with the wolves. From what I could tell they either wanted me locked up or killed. Can't say I blame them.

I'm an atrocity.

Jace's hand tightened its grip on my arm the minute I thought the words. As we approached the feuding people, my gaze lingered on a woman standing away from the crowd. It was the woman in white, she seemed to be the calmest of all of the witches.

"She is not evil," the woman in white stated, loud enough for everyone to hear.

The whole crowd quieted at her words. Except the lady in blue. I sense a lot of tension between the two women. Honestly I don't blame the lady in blue for disagreeing. I also disagree with the lady in white. If my mother couldn't resist becoming evil, what's to say I can?

"Evelyn, have you not heard he story of her mother? Her own father is practically telling us she's evil!"

"Her mother was not evil and you know it Daisy," a lady in red growled.

"Let's deal with this calmly. Obviously the girl is just as frightened as the rest of you! She didn't ask for this, hell she had no idea she had the powers of a witch."

"Nevertheless, in the end she will become someone too powerful. She will cause a destruction we may not be able to stop. Our best bet is to kill her now before she becomes as evil as her mother," Daisy retorted, and I hate to say it but she does have a point.

I'm sure Jace and everyone else thinks I have a death wish, but that's not it.

I'd love to live. I'd love to grow and raise Jace jr. To watch him grow up. To see him become as great as I know he can be. Maybe even to see if Jace and I stand a chance. But I can't do that knowing that at any moment I could become a monster. I could end up hurting people that I care very deeply for. The only options I have are confinement or death.

With Jace trying so hard to protect me, death seems impossible.

I'll have to find a way. I won't hurt the people I love, knowing I could've prevented it.

"Valentina, what your mother had was different," the lady in red said, putting her hand on my shoulder,"she was cursed. Blood itself is not evil, it is not in your genes to become an evil person."

"But what about the legends? Of the witches with my blood? Where are the rest of my people?"

The lady looked down solemnly before meeting my gaze, "long ago, the silver witches were wiped out. Not because they were evil, but because they were more powerful than the golden witches. To make matters worse their children, the half werewolf/half witch children were too powerful. Something neither the werewolves nor the silver witches could allow. Their blood was branded as evil because of the destruction many of their children caused."

"So my kind were all murdered by yours? Because they had too much power?! So then I won't turn evil?" I couldn't help the relief that washes over me in that moment.

"No, chances are you won't. If you do, your blood would not be to blame," Evelyn replied.

"Then I refuse to be locked up or killed and it's not a decision that is up to any of you witches. I may have the blood of the silver witches, but I am a rogue. I don't belong to the witches or to a pack, my life is mine alone. When I thought I was a danger to the people I care for I was willing, but now that I know that I'm not bound by my blood, I refuse to let you all lock me away or kill me."

"This is outrageous!" Daisy growled, turning to the rest of the witches.

Judging from the looks on their faces more than one agreed.

"Since you are a rogue you don't have a pack to protect you or a clan of witches," an almost evil smirk appeared on her face, "if the witches vote to have you locked up or killed we may pursue you and you'd have no one to protect you."

A snarl ripped free of me as I lunged at the vile witch, "when has The Rogue ever need anyone's fucking protection?" Daisy seemed taken aback for a moment before regaining her composure, "I have taken down packs bigger than your small amount of followers," then freeing myself calmly from Jaces tight grip I got in her face, "so try me, bitch."

Looking around I realized more than one wold was baring their teeth at the witch.

"My pack, the amethyst pack and her fathers pack will also devour you and your witches if you dare try to harm her," I had to give the witch credit, she didn't back down even as Jace gave her a glare that should have her on her knees begging for mercy, "you forget that Valentina is the daughter of a pack appointed alpha, a close friend of everyone in the amethyst pack and my mate. Touch her and hell will be brought upon you and anyone who supports you."

Samantha came to stand next to me, Liam's hAnd on her waist as a precaution. From the looks of it, she was ready to rip the lady's face off if Liam so much as shifted his hand a bit. Daisy said no more after that and Jace dragged me  back to where we were staying.

I guess there will be no dying or getting locked up today.

"I don't need the protection of the amethyst pack or yours or my fathers. I would never ask any of you to risk your lives for me," I murmured sitting up staring at the wall as Jace lay next to me.

"No one is telling you to ask, we care about you Valentina. We'd never let you handle a clan of witches by yourself."

"Oh so now that I've been kidnapped, apart of a pack and had a child you don't think I've still got what it takes to deal with people who want me captured or dead? I'll have you know that I—" my words were caught in my throat when Jaces fingers entangled themselves in my hair and pulled my lips to his.

I struggled for half a second before I gave in. It's not as if he was going to let me go and after how he offered me his protection today, I can't help but feel horrible for how I've treated him.

Is that all? Can I really justify this as a pity kiss?

When Jace pulled away, both of us breathless. He leaned his forehead against mine and whispered, "I have never and will never doubt your strength. But as an alpha and your mate it's not in my blood to let you fight alone."

Kill me now, he deserves so much better..