7. FLIGHT INSTINCT

Valentina

"We're just going on a trip, uncle Blake will be here when we get back okay?"

As I convinced Jace Jr. to come with me on this so called 'trip' he watched me suspiciously. I couldn't help but think about moving to an actual human community. I'd make friends there and call the police if Jace tried to take me away. He'd be labeled as a kidnapper and might even go to jail. I'd file for a restraining order against him and everything would be fine.

Deep down I knew things wouldn't be that easy. But I wouldn't admit that to myself until I actually reach the point where I'm filing a restraining order. I really wish things between me and Jace could have been less complicated. I wish there had never been a Mason or an Xavier. I wish my life was normal and I didn't have to spend it hiding from my own mate.

Too bad wishes don't come true.

"Mom?" Jace Jr. Tugged at my sleeve and I peered down at him where he stood next to me.

"Why are we in the human community?"

"We're going to be staying here for a while,"I smiled down at him before lifting him into my arms so that he could see the world from my view,"welcome to the city, darling."

And a beauty it was. The bright lights left every building in a glowing hue. A part of me was excited by the size of this place. Jace would never find me here! He would never find us.

"Come, we have to check into the hotel," with that said I hailed a cab with a surprisingly nice driver.

His name as he had told us was Ted and he hated the city. He said it was too noisy and he was only keeping up with this job so that he could make enough money to move himself to the country. I had teased him on how hot those country girls were and he had laughed. That small conversation began our short lived friendship on the way to the hotel.

He gave me his number and told me to call him if I ever needed a ride. I had thanked him graciously, considering I did not have a car of my own. Or any form of transportation, for that matter.

"Do you like it?" I asked Jr. As we entered the Royal Red hotel.

"It's too big, I want to go back with Blake," he whined and I huffed grabbing him and leading him to the counter; to check ourselves in.

"Do you guys have any rooms available?" I questioned the man at the counter.

He looked me up and down, taking in my disheveled appearance with a look of distaste. I glared daggers at him when he turned his gaze to a frightened looking Jace Jr. He didn't linger on our looks any longer instead deciding to finally speak with us directly. He didn't know that the wolves had plenty of cash and I could afford a much bigger hotel, maybe even a much bigger house. But I didn't plan on staying for long.

"I would kindly appreciate it if you would focus your judgmental gaze on to someone else, because if you think my son and I are going to sleep in a hotel with prissy arrogant workers you are dead wrong," with that I pulled out some of the money I had in my purse and held it in front of the man,"now is this enough for a week stay?"

"Th-this is enough for the month," he stuttered, and from the furrowing of his brows, he was obviously nervous.

"Good," I replied placing it on the counter and proceeded with signing the paper he handed me.

Silently and with shaking hands he turned and headed through the door behind him. I shook my head free of the mean thoughts I was directing at him and turned to Jace Jr.

He smiled up at me and whispered,"you're very scary sometimes mommy."

I chuckled and wrapped my arms around his small form,"how else could I scare off all of the bad people?"