Dead Faces

*Nzuri POV*

"Mom? I - I don't understand. How is this possible? You're DEAD. We - I - I buried you." I cried hugging her.

"I know baby and believe me I am so- so sorry. Believe me baby, I wanted to come to you. I wanted you here with me, but your father. He's an evil man. He's not the same man he was once I met him. I know people are destined to change, but our paths are destined to change for the better. Not the worse."

"I made it seem like he was the ideal father to you, but really. He was a monster. He was cruel, abusive, angry. So angry." She cried as she looked up to the ceiling.

"I wanted out. Faking my death was the only way to do that without having him come looking for me. I wanted to take you with me, but you were such a daddy's girl and he never acted a certain way towards you so I figured you were safe there. I figured he could give you a life that I couldn't. "

She wiped my tears away.

"I met Martin here when I was escaping. He helped me, he gave me a place to stay, food to eat. He saved me, and somewhere along the lines. We fell in love and moved out here to the country and ... I've been the happiest ever since.. "

She glowed when she talked about him. The same way I do when I talk about Dave.

"I met someone like that. "

I sniffed thinking about Dave.

"In a way, he saved me too. Not just physically. But he saved my mind. I have sooo many wounds. They're not healed yet, but because of him... they don't hurt.."

She smiled at me.

"I'm glad you found love." I continued.

"But while you were out living your life. Monroe was out there trying to end mine. I was angry at you. For dying. I thought you left me to fend for myself to make me stronger in life.. but you didn't. You had a choice, you chose to desert me. Do you have any idea, what I've had to go through because you wasn't there!?" I yelled!

"I wanted to be there NaeNae but what was I supposed to do!!?"

"YOU WERE SUPPOSED TO FIGHT FOR ME!" I cried.

"I got beat for not knowing things! I got beat because I was just a happy 7 year old excited to be experiencing new things! I got beat mama because I looked like you and that was something I couldn't even help! I just wanted to be loved. At the end of the day, I just wanted to feel wanted like I wasn't a burden!"

"And you wasn't baby I wish I could go back and -"

"WELL YOU CAN'T! You can't change leaving me!  You can't change him beating me until I was covered in blood!! You can't fix the past!"

I yelled running out of her house. I had know Idea where I was going, but one thing I did know, is that I didn't wanna be here.

I walked and walked and walked drowning in my thoughts until I saw a diner.

I looked in my pockets and all I had was a piece of gum and 25 cents.

I blew a heavy breath and walked in and straight to the counter .

"Excuse me. May I trouble you to use your phone?"

I asked the waitress. She was an older white lady so of course she felt for me, considering I've been crying for hours and my face looks like Will Smith's when he had an Allergic Reaction off that movie.

"Sure hun. May I get you anything to eat? It's on the house." I didn't wanna seem desperate so I declined.

"I'll be right back with some of Manny's famous pancakes." She said smiling at me.

She was just so nice and I didn't wanna seem rude.

"What makes them famous?"
I asked her.

"Hunny beats me. That's just what he calls 'em." She replied with a hoarse laugh.

It sounded so weird you couldn't help but laugh.

While she went to the back, I took the time to call the one person who I could always count on no matter what.

I waited on the line listening to the phone ring.

*Dave POV *

"Whaddya mean what she look like, nigga she look like Nzuri?"

I listened to Blaze talk on the phone with one of our workers.

This nigga got all the street smarts in the world, but common sense is what he lacks.

"Nigga how yeen neva seen ha befo' and she the one who helped yo ass when One of them niggas beat yo ass for cheating at Dice!!?"

"Yea yea nigga that Nzuri the one who was consoling you while you was dripping snot down her shirt. "

I chuckled cause that's just like her, her heart is too good to go through the things that she do.

She's so kindhearted and good willed and here I was, a thug that killed and sold drugs. I was so typical.

Shanta's phone started to ring. She had fell asleep while calling around trying to find Nzuri.

We've been at this for hours, so we just let her rest. She looked at the phone with a confused face and pressed ignore before trying to get comfortable enough to go back to sleep.

Seconds later the phone rung again causing her to huff and answer with an attitude, "WHAT!!?" She yelled.

While the person on the other line spoke Shanta's face began to soften.

"Nzuri?"