Chapter 40

Luke's POV:

"Wait, what are you doing here Caitlyn?" I asked her, feeling quite awkward now. From the corner of my eye, I could see Ashton's glare fixed on me and it was making it really hard for me to not get annoyed and leave.

I figured that the only way to hopefully help make Caitlyn forgive me was to make her happy. She's constantly saying that me and Ashton should be friends, because I'm her boyfriend and Ashton is her best friend, although now we're not with each other anymore. I came to Ashton's house to try and put things behind us, not necessarily be his best friend, but at least be civil with each other. I didn't expect Caitlyn to be here, so I was a bit embarrassed.

"No, what are you doing here?" Ashton asked me, still looking at me. I bit down on my tongue, trying not to snap at him. As I turned to face Ashton, I could still see Caitlyn looking over at me from the corner of my eye, and it was really putting me off. Ashton raised an eyebrow at me, signalling for me to speak.

"Well I actually came to, apologise I guess? I came so that we could be okay with each other, not necessarily the best of friends, but civil. We don't like each other for stupid reasons." I told him, trying to say it how I had worded it in my head.

Ashton scoffed, shaking his head at me. "I don't like you because you're constantly putting Caitlyn down, and unlike you, I'm here for her all the time when she needs me. Every time you fuck up, which is quite often, I'm always here to try and make her feel better. Then, as soon as she forgives you, you just go and do it all over again. It happens a lot, and that is why I don't like you."

My eyes widened a little bit, and I didn't really know how to respond to that. "Fair enough, it's true I guess. I just want to make Caitlyn happy Ashton, no more shit. One of the things I thought would maybe make her happy was if I at least tried with you, and at least she knows that I have."

I quickly glanced over at Caitlyn, who was looking down at the floor awkwardly. I so badly wished that I hadn't done all of the stuff I had done, that I was a better person. The more I tried to earn her forgiveness and trust again, I felt selfish. I really don't deserve Caitlyn, and Ashton is right. I really have put her down so many times, too many times, and she forgives me all the time. But if she didn't forgive me, I don't know what I would do because I can't live without her anymore.

"It doesn't change anything that you've done though Luke, I'm fed up with seeing my best friend hurt all the time, I've seen her crying these past months more than I've seen her cry in her life, and I've been friends with her for ages." he replied, still not really looking happy.

When I turned to look back over at Caitlyn, she sat there awkwardly. I wanted to talk to her, but Ashton was in here. He was pissing me off right now, but I wanted to get on both of their good sides, and telling him to get out of his own living room wouldn't help things.

"I'll just leave then." I told him, putting my mouth into an awkward line and slowly nodding my head. Just as I was about to walk out of the living room door, the doorbell rang. Ashton told me that I had two minutes until I had to leave, so as soon as he left the living room and closed the door behind him, I practically ran to Caitlyn like a little kid.

"Are you okay?" I asked her as soon as I was in front of her. Instead of sitting on the sofa next to her, I crouched awkwardly on the floor in front of her, making me feel like even more of an idiot.

"Yeah, I'm okay." she told me, raising her eyebrows slightly and nodding her head. "I really appreciate you trying to make up with Ashton, by the way. He's just doesn't forgive easily."

"Good way of trying to sugar coat that he hates me." I replied, laughing a little bit. I saw a small smile tug at her lips, making me smile even more. "I should probably get going before he hates me even more."