Chapter 11

Luke's POV:

I stormed off down the corridor, steering round the corner away from Michael. I knew he had seen me, I know that he knows I didn't hit Caitlyn. As much as I thought about it, I just couldn't hit her. On Sunday, she seemed so upset, I felt almost bad for her. I knew that whole day about the tutoring session, but I didn't do it. I didn't know that she would be so upset about it. So when Michael was about to hit her, I had to step in. Of course I wasn't going to hit her! Mainly because of Sunday, but mainly because I don't see the point anymore.

When I didn't hit her, I thought she would at least thank me. I know I don't deserve a thanks after everything I've done, but I thought she would be a bit appreciative. Instead, she just told me to hit her. Did she seriously think I was going to hit her?

"Fuck!" I shout, kicking a locker as I walk past it, slumping down and sitting on the floor.

"This is bullshit." I mumbled to myself.

"Luke!" I hear a voice shout.

Oh shit.

"Luke!" Caitlyn repeated.

The footsteps sounded closer and closer, until she was standing right in front of me.

"What was that?" she asked me, pointing down the halls to show what she meant.

I just shrugged my shoulders at her, making her raise an eyebrow. She's definitely gotten more confident, months ago she would never have done this.

"Well? You know why you didn't do it. Tell me." she told me.

When I didn't speak, she surprised me by sitting down next to me.

"I weren't going to hit you. How could you think I would? I don't do that anymore, I don't want Michael or Calum to either, but when I leave this school, I don't want people to be like, 'yeah, Luke Hemmings, he was an asshole. He was a bully'. I want people to think good of me, but it's too late for that, so there's no point." I told her.

"It's never too late." she told me, her voice quiet. I looked up at her; her face forming a small frown, her hair in her face.

I shook my head at her, disagreeing.

"It isn't too late. You want to change how you are? You're the only person who can do that. If that means not being friends with Calum and Michael, then, well, fuck them." she said, laughing a little bit.

"They're my best friends, and even though they don't seem it, on the inside they're good people Caitlyn. I'm trying to tell them I'm bored of it, that I don't want to do it anymore. I don't know, I guess they just don't really listen." I replied, reaching my hand up to push my hair up, a habit I have.

"Well, maybe it'll be something you just have to do. I don't know, Luke." she told me.

"How are you being so nice? Why are you being so nice? All I have ever been is a dick to you, and you're sitting here, trying to help me. Why?" I asked her.

"I can forgive. Forget." she told me. With that, she stood up and walked away, leaving me thinking on the floor.

Caitlyn's POV:

I'm so confused. I can't even think properly. I was really late for my lesson, but I don't think Mr Smith will be angry about it, he'll just think I was in the toilet for a while. How embarrassing.

When I reached my maths class, I pushed open the door and all attention was diverted to me. Mr Smith nodded his head towards my seat and I smiled as a way of saying 'thanks' for not embarrassing me in front of the class, and then sat down.