Chapter 15

Caitlyn's POV:

It felt weird being at Luke's house. It felt like I'm not supposed to be here, like something's going to happen. Stupidly, this morning I forgot my house key, so when we got to my house, we couldn't get inside. My dad was out at work, and would be for a few more hours, while my mum was at Anna's school for parents evening. So our only other choice was to go to Luke's house. Of course, at first I said no, told him we could sit outside my house while we wait, because I had my books anyway. Luke obviously said no, telling me he didn't want to sit outside and that he was hungry so we might as well go to his house. Right now, I was sitting on a chair, my hands on the counter top in front of me, while Luke was digging through the cupboards in search of food.

After a while, he pulled out a bar of chocolate and smiled, opening it all the way and snapping some chocolate off before eating it. Luke pushed the bar closer to me, probably offering me some without talking, but I didn't really want any. He shrugged, snapping some more off and eating it.

"Are we working in here?" I finally asked him.

"If you want I guess. Why not the living room or my room?" he asked.

"I don't mind." I told him, but really I did. I felt safer in the kitchen, I could see the front door when I looked out of the kitchen, and if anything happened I would run. That was me being stupid though, nothing would happen; Luke explained that at school last week when he was upset.

"Come on." he said, picking up the chocolate and walking up the stairs. I followed behind, my bag in hand.

Luke led me into his bedroom. It was messy, really messy. Clothes were scattered across the floor along with some empty cans and some wrappers. His bed was unmade, the bed sheet basically on the floor. His wardrobe was open, and it barely had any clothes inside. Probably because they were all on the floor.

"You're room is really messy." I said, as if he didn't know.

"I can't clean." he said, sitting on his bed, the chocolate next to him.

"Do you live here alone?" I asked him. I wouldn't have thought he did, the house was too big. I don't think Luke has a job, so it would be hard for him to afford this house on his own.

"No, well, basically." he told me, crossing his legs and turning to face me when I sat on the other end of his bed.

"Basically?" I asked him, wanting him to explain.

"Well my dad lives here, but he's a doctor. He works long hours, really long hours. So I barely see him. Even on weekends he's out working. The only thing he cares about is my education, not really me. He knows that I'm doing shit at school, which is why he told the school I need a tutor, and why he tried getting you to tutor me more days a week. Dick." he muttered. It surprised me, how much Luke was opening up to me. Telling me about his family.

"What about your mum?" I asked him, my voice quieter.

He looked away from me and turned his attention to the floor, his face in a frown.

"Sorry." I apologized, guessing it might be a touchy subject.

"No, it's fine." he said, looking back at me. "My mum and dad divorced, and she moved away. She went back to Australia, so you know, it's a bit hard to get from England to Australia easily. It's a 22 hour flight so obviously I barely see her. I wanted to move with her, but she said I should stay here because of school, so when I'm finished school I'll probably move to Australia." he finished.

I started imagining what life would be like if Luke did move with his mum. Would Calum and Michael still bully me? Or would everything be completely different? Would everyone talk to me, would I be more popular? I couldn't think of anything other than how it is now, still unpopular, still being bullied. I'm used to it by now, and it's definitely stopped a bit, because of Luke.