Thirty Six

"Elizabeth!" my mother's voice echoed down the hallway.

Huffing in agitation, I threw my makeup down knowing that it was better to go and see what she wanted first.

Barefoot, I jogged over to my parents bedroom.

"Yes?" I asked uneasily.

My stomach had been churning all day, the nerves basically eating me alive. This was going to be our first 'date'...well not really since Harry and Aria would be there...but still!

"Have you spoken to Liam recently?" she inquired as she stood staring out the window, her body clad in a violet dress.

Really? This is what she wants?

Shuffling my feet and glancing at the clock I muttered out a 'No'.

I had thirty minutes before I had to go and I wasn't even ready yet! I looked like I had just climbed out of bed!

My mother looked over at me, her eyes slicing through me. "Well you should. I bet he would love to see you."

And there it was. That hope in her tone, silently telling me to be with him because he is Prince Charming in her eyes.

I leaned against the doorway, "Mother," my tone was assertive.

She stayed silent, simply raising an eyebrow as if daring me to test her.

I ignored her look and continued before my confidence could shatter, "I told you that he and I aren't going to get married. I don't see him as anything more than a friend."

She didn't react, something very unusual for my mother. She simply continued to stare at me.

My mouth suddenly became dry as I grew uneasy.

"Please stop pestering me about it." I ground out, feeling slightly satisfied with myself.

My mother sighed before turning her gaze outside again.

"I tried Elizabeth...I really tried. I had always dreamed of who my daughter would become and what she would accomplish. Dreamed that she would live a life like I did as a teenager." her voice was dull as was her expression.

I blinked a couple times and glanced at the ground in discomfort.

"You are nothing like me which is bewildering. You pocess something that I never did as a young girl." she continued, never once looking at me.

I stood straight, unsure of where she was going with this. I had never seen my mother like this before and it was truly unsettling.

She sighed and glanced down at her hands, "I love you Elizabeth, I really do. I hope you know that."

I swallowed, my eyes widening. Of course I knew she loved me...but it was just strange hearing her say the words because she rarely ever did.

She looked up at me and for once in her lifetime her eyes had a soft glow. It was no longer the hard glare I was used to.

My chest grew warm, a certain sense of acceptance and elation filling me. It had always been there; that need to be acknowledged and cherished by my mother, but I never wanted to admit it because it made me feel weak.

I moved forward, my eyes clouding.

"I love you too." I murmured, my emotions slowly taking a hold of me. My mother gave me a small smile and opened her arms to me. She pulled me close and squeezed me tightly.

I lifted my arms, wrapping them around her slim body.

It had been a while since the last time her and I had embraced.