Thirty.

NOT EDITED

The next 24 hours were absolutley terrible. There was no conversation between us, nor was there any interaction at all. We both avoided each other because we knew it would just be uncomfortable to see one another.

But we were going to have to see one another at some point, and that some point was now.

"You can open the window if you're hot." he commented emotionlessly as we drove on the highway.

That was the first thing he's said to me since that day, and to be honest it tore at my stomach to hear the lack of happiness and joy that usually leaked in his tone.

"No I'm fine," I replied shortly, staring down at my bruised wrists.

He didn't bother responding or looking at me. He just simply stared at the road with his lips in a straight line.

Oh goodness what have I done?

When I get home what am I supposed to say to my parents!? Oh they are going to be so angry.

Images of my mother screaming at me came on full force. Fear coarsed through my veins as I thought of her reaction.

She'll disown me! 

My chest rose quickly, the air in the car seeming to disappear.

"My mother is going to-she's going to....oh no..." I muttered, my eyes wide as I stared at the road ahead of us.

Liam exhaled loudly, "This is your fault, not mine." 

His words came out quiet and laced with irritation.

I looked at him, swallowing nervously as my cheeks reddened.It seemed as though he wasn't just hurt anymore. He was angry too.

"You don't want to get married, not me. Now you'll just have to deal with the repercussions." he added, his knuckles turning white as he gripped the steering wheel.

I stayed silent, bowing my head in regret.

Even though it was the right thing to do, I still felt bad for telling him. I never liked hurting people, it was just natural for me to treat everyone with respect and kindness. So having to destroy someone's dream was truly foreign territory for me. 

He sighed , "My mother is going to be heartbroken Elizabeth, absolutley heartbroken!" 

My throat tightened, the familiar feeling of shame hitting me.

"She loves you so much! She see's you as her own daughter and now look what you're about to do to her!" he continued his desperate rant, trying all he could to persuade me.

My eyes burned uncomfortably.  A painful ache filling my stomach as I realized how many people would be disappointed with me when I got back.

"Liam don't you understand that you and I couldn't work!?" I blurted out in a shaky voice.

He flinched, not expecting me to speak. He quickly recovered, a deep frown covering his handsome features.

"What?" he asked breathlessly as if trying to decipher if i had really said such a thing.

His eyes shifted to me for a second before going back to the road. 

"I said that you and I would not work out." I repeated, my voice growing quiet again.

I watched his adams apple bob as he swallowed, "Uh... how could you think that? You and I are perfect Elizabeth!" he stated like it was a fact.

I rolled my eyes, feeling myself grow frustrated.