Forty One

Two years later...

(Third person POV)

Elizabeth doodled along the margins of her notebook, not really listening to what the professor was droning on about. As she looked around she noticed that everyone else was just as bored as her.

This class was just a requirement because otherwise Elizabeth would never have chosen to take a history course. She hated it with a passion but bit her tongue and dealt with it since she had no other choice.

She was currently enrolled in the College of William and Mary down in Virginia. Somehow her father was able to convince her that university was where she should go. She had no other plans so here she was, almost finished with her second year. She decided to focus on English...what will she do with that when she graduates? To be honest, she didn't know.

She went to school down south because she wanted something new. She needed new scenery and new people. She couldn't stay in New York any longer. She felt the need to start fresh which is exactly what she did when she came down here. She had grown up, matured and became someone else. She was no longer that naive young girl. She was no longer that sad and confused girl who finally felt heartbreak for the first time. She was a young woman now, who only had her future on her mind. Nothing else.

Yes there were men here and there who would ask her on dates, and she'd sometimes say yes but she made sure to keep her distance emotionally. She didn't want to deal with the feelings she'd get if her heart was to get broken again.

In a way, she was afraid.

Once in awhile her thoughts would wander to him. To Zayn.

She was curious to know how he was doing. Was he still in New York? Where was he working? Was he still alone or did he meet another?

Anytime she asked herself that last question she couldn't help but feel a bit queasy. Her affection for him was the same and she knows that she'd take him back in a heartbeat if he were to come back to her. But she knew he wouldn't. She knew that he most likely didn't think about her anymore. She knew that he probably moved on from that stage in his life.

She admits that she would cry sometimes, but it's rare nowadays. 

Liam was studying abroad in London. She and him, after many months, had finally rekindled their friendship. And friendship is what it stayed. Even when he'd stare a little too long or give her extravagant gifts for no reason, she knew that their relationship would stay platonic. Liam was too afraid to ever lose her again so if he had to just be her friend for the rest of his life than so be it.

Aria grew distant from Elizabeth. Elizabeth then realized that her assumptions were true; Harry had mentioned his liking towards her. It hurt Elizabeth, it hurt her very much that her best friend and basically sister, had just abandoned her because a boy liked her more than herself. It hurt especially because Elizabeth had no control over that situation. She had no idea Harry had any sort of affection for her until it was too late, so really Aria was in wrong. She should have been mature enough and dealt with it better. But instead she did the childish thing and got angry at Elizabeth. And now, they no longer speak.

Harry on the other hand tried with all his might to somehow get in contact with Elizabeth no matter how much she ignored him. Anytime she went out she'd bump into him. Their encounters always seemed to go the same;He tease her and act all casual even though he was nervous and unsure of what to do. Elizabeth would get angry, snap at him and he'd simply laugh in response. Then he'd try and get her to go on a date with her and she'd simply reject him. Harry would never admit it, but every time she said no or looked at him coldly, it hurt him more than she'd ever know.

A/N: It's not finished yet don't worry! I sort of have an idea rolling in my head and I hope everyone ends up liking it. :)