Thirteen.

With a bored expression I sat patiently as one of the woman, Mrs Bart, spoke at our weekly NYES meeting.

I couldn't help but feel tired of this group already. I always thought it would be the most amazing experience with many benefits, but I now realize it's basically a group of rich old women who talk about each other and gossip endlessly.

I glanced at my mother to see her sitting straight up, eyes watching Mrs Bart with great interest.

My mother was the main reason that I tried so hard to get into this group. Her approval was something I thirsted for, something I have and always will want.

My fingers skimmed over the silver badge I was given for hosting such a great gathering last weekend. My mother was estatic when I received it, telling me that  even though I could have "done better" that she was still proud of me.

I sighed quietly, reaching forward and grabbing my tea.

To my utter dismay it was cold.

Placing it back down, I leaned back attempting to appear as if I was actually listening.

Her voice was monotone which didn't help my wandering thoughts. All too soon my mind was filled with honey brown eyes, raven black hair, and prominent cheeks bones.

"You either are interested or you're not interested. There is no 'in-between'"

The words continued to hit me all week. No matter how many times I tried to ignore them they would simply attack me, again and again.

My one question was why I was letting them bother me.

They were simply words spoken by a mere servant! If anything they are meaningless and unimportant.

But I secretly knew he was right. And I think that admitting he was right was probably the hardest thing to overcome. 

The more I thought about Zayn and his naturally good looks, the hotter my face became.

I knew he was attractive, there was no denying that, but something else about him seemed to intrigue me and that is what scared me the most.

"Elizabeth?"

I blinked, snapping my head in the direction of the voice.

"Yes mother?" I asked softly, gazing at her perfectly made up face.

She raised a perfectly plucked eyebrow, her plum colored lips opening slightly.

"Were you even listening to her?" she questioned, tone bordering irritation.

I swallowed and sat up straighter, "Of course." I lied, finally noticing that Mrs Bart was no longer talking and that everyone was now enjoying their tea and biscuits.

"Don't lie to me Elizabeth." my mother hissed, casually fooling with a bobby pin that was placed under her french braid so that she had a reason to subtly glare at me.

"I'm not." I retorted, unconciously fixing my hair too. The clips holding my side bangs out of my face were obviously not working seeing as hair kept falling in front of my right eye.

My mother scoffed quietly, obviously worried others would hear.

"You're unbelievable." she stated coldly, her nasty mood taking me by surprise.

I'm used to my mother pestering me and digging me with small insults, but she has never been a complete witch to me. Her tone at the moment was something new.

"We're leaving come on." she bit, grabbing her purse and standing up.

I sat stunned for a moment, confused at her abrupt exit.