Thirty Four

Looking as if she didn't want to deal with an argument, my mother simply looked away and shoved the door open with anger.

I sighed, relieved that she went without causing a scene.

Now was the hard part.

I slowly turned back around, keeping my eyes downcast for a few moments before looking up at him.

He just stood there, staring at me with no expression.

"You work here?" I asked quietly.

He stepped forward, catching me off guard.

"Yeah..." he replied, shifting uncomfortably and placing his hands in his pant pockets.

I nodded, suddenly unsure of what to say. The air around us was tense; It was almost suffocating.

Both of us knew that so much needed to be said but we just didn't know where to start.

"When do you get off?" I asked looking down at my hands that began to sweat.

"Not till four." he muttered, moving closer with cautious steps.

I mentally groaned, now frustrated with the fact that I couldn't speak to him.

"We can meet later...if you want?" he pressed eagerly, almost desperatley.

I looked up at him, my hand twitching when I had the sudden urge to pull him forward and kiss him. I missed him, and his touch. So standing so close to him was becoming difficult. I needed to control myself, and be patient.

Talk first Elizabeth. Get everything out of the way first before you move forward.

I nodded stiffly, "Yeah, meet me by the lake."

Desperate for fresh air, I turned around and bolted out of the store.

~~~

"Oh my," I breathed, rubbing my forehead nervously as I stood next to the dock.

I was nervous, so nervous that my stomach was churning.

Why be so scared Elizabeth? You two will just talk it out...nothing more.

I took a deep breath, nearly jumping out of my skin when a hand touched my shoulder.

"Jesus Zayn!" I screeched when I realized it was him behind me.

He jumped back, taken off guard by my reaction.

"Sorry," he apologized, his cheeks darkening in embarassment.

I fixed my hair quickly, attempting to collect myself. "It's fine."

The air grew tense again, and both of us were clueless about how to cut it. We just stood silently, awkwardly staring at one another.

I swallowed and leaned my weight on my right leg.

"Why? Why'd you do it?" I blurted out.

He looked away and sighed before shoving his hands into his pockets. He stayed quiet for a moment, clearly trying to come up with an acceptable response.

I bit my lip impatiently, desperate to hear him speak.

"I was angry that he hurt you. I didn't mean for it to get so heated-"

"He was in the hospital!" I cut him off, my face growing hot as my anger began to rise. This topic will probably always strike a nerve within me.

Zayn blinked a few times, his features softening. He looked like a young child, lost and unsure of what to say.