Fourteen.

The blush on my cheeks was obvious as everyone continued to clap. Their eyes staring me down as I simply smiled shyly, unused to all the attention.

I was finally 18. My parents found it necessary that they invite many people to celebrate my birthday, even if I told them I was fine with just the three of us.

Our entire back yard had been transformed. Many tables were spread out, food was being served constantly, and music continued to play casually from the record player on the porch.

"Let's have some of this delicious cake already!" Aria cheered, eager to take a bite of the red velvet cake that had been made for me.

Everyone clapped, smiling brightly as pieces of cake began to get passed around on plates.

"Thank you." I said to one of the waiters as he handed me a plate.

"God this is delicious!" Aria said, her mouth filled with cake. I chuckled at her lack of manners, actually enjoying the more relaxed version of her.

"Yeah Marina made it. Quite the talented baker isn't she?" I asked, knowing that our personal chef was also a brilliant baker.

Aria nodded enthusiastically, "Yes, very!"

I was about to pick up my fork when my father suddenly came beside me, placing his hand on my shoulder as he bent down to speak in my ear.

"Someone is here to see you. They're in the living area inside." he said, motioning towards our house.

I furrowed my brow, a bit peeved that I couldn't have my cake.

"Who?" I asked as I slowly stood up, Aria ceasing her obnoxious chewing as she listened in.

My father gave me a tight smile, "Just go on in and see for yourself." and with that he kissed my forehead and walked away.

"Who do you think it is?" Aria asked, eyeing me carefully.

I stayed silent, contemplating the answer before realization hit me.

"Liam." I muttered,twisting my index finger around my ponytail nervously.

"Oh..." was all she replied. I quickly turned away, not bothering to say goodbye, and made my way up the porch steps.

If he's come to bother about this marriage idea I might end up saying something to him that I'll end up regretting. My patience was thin today, and I was in no mood to deal with such proposals.

I entered the living area, my eyes immediately spotting Liam.

He was casually leaning against the frame of the fireplace, gazing at the photos displayed on wall. Majority of them were of me from when I was younger.

"Liam," I greeted, moving across the room so that I was closer to him.

He swiftly turned around, "Jesus, you scared me!" he breathed, placing his hand on his chest.

I bit my lip to stifle my giggle. "Sorry."

He quickly moved away from the fireplace and made his way over to me.

"It's quite alright. Anyways, to a more important matter I'd like to say happy birthday!" the last two words rolling off his tongue with extreme volume.

I jumped a little, not expecting him to be so loud. "Thank you." I murmured with a small smile.

He smiled, showing off his straight white teeth. He was looking quite handsome today, not that he normally doesn't, with his hair gelled back and body clad with an ironed grey suit.