Ten.

"Sorry." came his soft reply. He stared at me a moment, before turning away and looking up at the sky.

He held the long white apron in his hand, allowing me to see the black dress pants he was wearing. This was the most dressed I had ever seen him. Never had I seen him this formal. 

I turned away, folding my hands behind my back.

It was silent for a few minutes. Neither of us willing to say anything.

I suddenly  felt unsure of myself, becoming self concious.

"Shouldn't you be inside?" he asked quietly. It wasn't asked rudely, it was asked out of genuine curiousity.

I licked my lips, feeling nervous.

"I needed a bit of fresh air." I answered, hesitantly looking over at him. To my surprise he was looking right at me, his body now facing me as if ready to engage in conversation.

I blinked a couple times, slowly shifting my body so that I was facing him also.

The air was tense, filled with some unknown feeling that lingered.

Unknown feeling? What?

Maybe I shouldn't have had that glass of champagne, it seems to have messed with my thoughts.

Zayn nodded, shoving his hands into his pockets. The apron hanging from his pinky as he did so.

He looked down at the ground for a few seconds, his brow creasing.  

"I cannot believe that just happened." he mumbled, obviously talking about the incident that just happened inside. He shook his head in shame, looking like a young boy who knew he upset his parents.

I frowned, trying to find some way to comfort him. I know I shouldn't necessarily want to comfort him, but for some reason I felt the need to.

Ever so slowly, as his attention was still on the ground, I walked over to him. I stopped at a distance that seemed appropriate and reasonable. His head snapped up when he felt my presence in front of him.

He blinked a couple times, his cheeks darkening under the moonlight. The look in his eyes made it obvious that he was a bit shocked at the sudden proximity.

"I thought Miss Crowe's dress needed a little something anyways. It was a bit plain in my opinion." I said without thinking. 

My God, did I really just say that? Not only was the statement somewhat comforting, but it was also humorous!  Could I make it more obvious that I was trying to make him feel better!?

Damn champagne.

He swallowed loudly. His adams apple visibly moving up and down as he did so.

As if realizing that I was actually trying to lighten the mood, a choked up chuckle escaped his parted lips. Within moments a gentle smile graced his face. His posture was less tense as he sagged his shoulders, unlocked his elbows, and leaned on one leg casually.

I couldn't help but smile back, the weird feeling in my stomach from a few days ago returning.

His eyes examined me carefully. Almost as if drinking in my expression.

"If only they were all as patient and as kind as you." he mumbled quietly, the smile slowly sliding off his face.

He gazed at me with a serious expression. I swallowed nervously, feeling a blush creep up on my cheeks.

"I should probably go back inside." I said, awkwardly picking at my ear lobe in an anxious manner. He seemed to realize that his comment may have been inappropriate and immediatley cleared his throat, turning away from me.

"U-Uh right." he stammered, looking at the ground in great interest.

I quickly turned around and began walking into the venue. 

My heart was beating rapidly as his words echoed through my mind. Why was I getting so hyped by hearing him say those things? 

I then realized that I was smiling. I covered my mouth with my hand, stopping outside the doorway that led into the large hall.

I took a deep breath.

What is going on with me?

Comment and vote! :) Thanks.