Chapter 24

CHAPTER 24

All we care about is looks.

No one falls in love with your personality in first sight.

________________________________________________________

Faith.

         I was sitting on the couch of Nathan’s house as my eyelids felt heavy. I didn’t get a hint of sleep last night because of the interrogation that went on after I called up Shawn to let him know about what I found out. It’s 10 in the morning and yet, Kyle hasn’t returned any calls of mine or even texted me back. I was sort of disappointed but then again also worried whether he was alright or not.

          Mrs. Samuels broke down once again last night and I had to comfort her until she felt asleep. She did wake up an hour back but again went back to sleep after I prepared some bacons and eggs for her to eat. Mr. Samuels came back from Australia today in the morning after he got a call about Nathan’s death. I didn’t know where his brothers were but Sally was awake and sitting in front of me on the floor, playing with her Legos. I was practically babysitting her as there wasn’t anyone else to look after her.

          Shawn told me he went to have a talk with Kyle about Nathan’s murdered as Nathan mentions he saw Kyle talking to the guy Nathan stalked. Of course I am hell sure that Dean is behind everything but only if I have the courage to speak out. Andrew, with no doubt, is going to be behind the bars sooner or later because Nathan clearly mentions his name. This hits me now; it means Ingrid will be interrogated as well. Shawn hasn’t spoken about the day he found me in the motel but I guess it’s time he finds out everything.

          All of a sudden, my phone starts to ring, snapping me out of my thoughts. I rub my eyes with one hand while picking up the phone with another.

          “Hello?” I speak lazily.

          “Hey baby girl, how are you?” says dad’s voice. It felt like forever since I last heard his voice.

          “Dad? You call after a month and ask how I am? Do you even know what’s going on here? Do you have any idea what happened the other night when I was alone at home? Do you care anymore?” I question all at once as anger starts to boil up inside me.

          “Honey, I know you’re very angry at me but trust me. I know everything. I have been getting messages from Shawn and his team continuously but I’ve been so busy that I got no chances to call back and check up on you. I’m so sorry,” dad says with raw guilt in his voice.

          “Oh yeah? Isn’t that what you always say dad? My best friend died dad, and all you did was leave me to deal with myself on the very next day and all you say is sorry?!” I answer him, raising my voice.

          “I don’t know what to say,” dad says in a much lower voice.

          “What do you have to say anyways? Your work has always been important but did you ever care about us? Even after knowing about me, you decided to leave. You think removing the blades will stop me from doing what I do to escape the pain I feel? You’re so wrong dad, so wrong,” I speak harshly.

          “Then traveling and keeping myself engaged in work is my escape, god dammit!” dad says angrily.

          “What do you need an escape from? Or are you looking for another eligible woman to be your wife?” I say it unintentionally.

          “What’s wrong with you Faith? I understand that it was my mistake not to call up and check on you guys but I didn’t expect this sort of behavior from you. Why would you even say that? You’re talking as if I make babies with tons of women,” he says impatiently.