Chapter 20

CHAPTER 20

Just because we do bad things

Doesn’t mean we are bad people.

__________________________________________________________

Dean

          I take a sip of my beer and keep the glass on the table. This is screwed up. This wasn’t supposed to happen. Everything was going according to plan unless the loser cops decided to show up. Cops were rarely seen in this town and whoever worked here, were bought by me so then did these losers decide to stand up against me? Who was the leader of all these? Whoever he was, wasn’t an easy one.

          “Sir, we got the information about the new detective in town and is especially here to catch you,” says one of my ‘workers’ and I turn around.

          “Go on,” I say emotionlessly.

          “Well, his name is Shawn Palovic and he is a good one. Graduated from Harvard University and he has come here with his team. Have been working for five years but within this little amount of time, he has achieved all those things that most good detectives get after fifteen to twenty years of work,” he says and looks at me for my response.

          I casually take out a cigarette and light it up, walking towards him as I exhale the smoke. I put an arm on his shoulder as he starts to walk with me.

          “You see Jackie, till now, whoever has come here to put me behind the bars, never succeeded no matter how good they were. Do you really think Palovic can?” I say taking in another sip of the cigarette.

          “N-no… of course not sir,” he says nervously.

          “So just chill and go check on the tickets which I asked for,” I say and he leaves.

          “One day we got to stop running, you know that right?” says Monica from behind me.

          “Perhaps, but while I have the opportunity to run, I won’t stop,” I say with my back to her, still smoking.

          “I’m tired of living like this Dean. I cannot be a single mother, more like, I don’t want to be! Why don’t you get it?” Monica says making me annoyed.

          “Well, maybe you’ve thought about that before you fucked that boyfriend of yours,” I say now turning towards her without a hint of emotion.

          “Everything was fine until you decided to use him for your dirty work,” she says with tears in her eyes.

          “Dirty work? Oh wow, look who’s talking. Don’t forget miss, you’re involved in this as well,” I say in a threatening voice.

          “That was my mistake. I’m involved too. Don’t you feel bad Dean that you shattered your sister’s life, twice? Oh, why will you feel bad? All you know is how to achieve money,” she says mockingly.

          “Money rules the world Monica. Because we have money, we’re able to live such a wealthy life,” I say seriously.

          “Not we. You Dean, you’re able to live a wealthy life not me. You don’t even care about your child or your wife. Now because there’s trouble for you, you’re going to your wife. You always go wherever you find advantage, you don’t care about anyone but yourself,” she says crossly.

          “Little miss, if I didn’t care about anyone, I would throw Andrew and you along with those kids on the road long back. Whatever I do, is to gain money and fame. Look around, everyone knows me. I am well known for having twenty-five strip clubs in the world and not to forget human trafficking. I mean, I earn more by human trafficking than the strip clubs,” I say giving her a perfect explanation.