Chapter 13

Picture of Violet.

___________________________________________________________

CHAPTER 13

Numbing the pain for a while will make it worse when you finally feel it.

____________________________________________________________

Kyle

          Monday morning. The sun was forcing its way in through the gaps of my curtain. I turn to my side as I groan in pain. I think I got a cracked rib due to all the hitting. It’s been a day since it happened, but yet the pain felt fresh. Violet wanted me to visit the doctor, but I was least bothered. What are painkillers for anyways?

          I slowly sit up, clutching my bruise. I have been asleep for like ten hours now, but yet I felt tired like I haven’t slept for days. I rub my eyes and sluggishly get out of the bed, yawning. The fact that I am not able to stretch my body was really irritating me. I had no will to attend school today, and especially with not this injury, but it’s better to spend time in a way than sitting here in my room and listening kid’s yelling’s.

          After freshening up, I put on black jeans and a t-shirt with black jacket. I make my way downstairs to find Violet in the kitchen counter as usual.

          “Good morning dear,” she says smiling at me as she pours coffee in her mug.

          “Morning,” I reply dully as I sit to eat the egg omelet she prepared for breakfast.

          “How are you feeling now?” she asks worriedly.

          “Better,” I say in my usual, cold tone.

          “These guys…,” she sighs as she speaks. “I don’t know why they are doing this.”

          “Why can’t we do anything?” I ask after a moment of silence.

          “It’s Dean we’re talking about. Everyone knows what he is, and calling in the cops won’t be of any help. After all, we don’t even know where he stays. The police already tried to track him down a couple of times but they always failed. No matter how many businesses they shut down, Dean will always open a new one,” she says looking down desolately.

          I keep eating without making any eye contact with her as I think about the matter. I have known Dean for like, almost for my entire life and once he has his eye on someone, it’s not easy to escape from him.

          “Look, Kyle,” she starts talking, holding my empty hand which was closed in a fist. “I know I shouldn’t have asked you to come back here when you were finally starting to look forward in life but I got scared when I heard that Dean was back in town. I have no idea what made him leave in the first place but I am guessing that he might have found a better place to fool around, but why did he come back is the question that never leaves my mind. I don’t know how long I will live, but as long as I am here, I won’t let these kids get hurt and the only person I could rely on was you,” she says as her eyes tear up.

          “I will do whatever I can,” I say assuring her that I am ready to help her. She was always there for me, so why can’t I repay her back doing a little bit of favor; a dangerous favor to deal with though.

          She smiles weakly and I get up in order to leave. I clutch my bruise slightly as it ached due to sudden movement.

          “I think you should probably take a break and visit the doctor,” she recommends.