Chapter 22

CHAPTER 22

A cruel truth is better

Than a comfortable delusion.

________________________________________________

          “This coffee is really good you know,” I say taking a sip of the coffee while Shawn and I sit on the dining table.

          Last night was quite rough and I don’t know how but I had a good sleep. It was 10 in the morning when Shawn came and woke me up. He wanted to give me a breakfast in bed but I refused and wanted to sit and eat along with him. We didn’t have any talk yesterday but I guess I’ll have to answer quite a few questions today.

          “I know right. Maria is a genius,” Shawn says cheerfully taking a bite of his jam sandwich.

          Maria. Now that reminds me that I promised to meet Kyle today. I’ve to think of a way to break the news to him.

          “So, did you find anything about Nathan?” I ask anxiously.

          “Well, as I’ve already told you that we haven’t found anything and honestly, I don’t even know what to investigate anymore. I mean, don’t take me wrong but teens nowadays commit suicide so often and it’s all because of stupid society. I think we should just accept he is gone and he had his reasons,” he says sighing.

          A small twitch forms in the corner of my lips at those words. How can I just simple accept the fact that my best friend is gone forever? I need answers. I know there was something he was hiding from everyone.

          Oh dear lord! How could I forget about it?! His diary!

          “Shawn?” I call out with a hint of tension in my voice.

          “What is it?” he replies worriedly.

          “Did you guys search his room thoroughly?” I question with creased eyebrows.

          “My men searched his room in every possible way. We didn’t find anything that would give us any clue related to his death,” Shawn answers leaning back on his chair.

          “N-nothing at all?” I ask frowning.

          “Were we supposed to get something?” he asks, suspecting.

          “I don’t know, I guess you should.”

          “I know we should, but unfortunately we didn’t,” Shawn replies casually.

          I can’t convince my heart to believe that. He had a diary and I am so damn sure that there is something in that diary which will help me get my answers.

          “Hey,” Shawn says keeping his hand on my mine which was on the table, making me look at him.

          “I’m sorry about your loss, but let’s not be sad about it. Want to go somewhere open? Maybe we can talk about last night somewhere refreshing. It’s quite gloomy here anyways,” he says optimistically.

          I was feeling really uncomfortable with his hand on mine. I know he wanted to make me feel better somehow but this was only getting awkward. I hesitantly remove my hand from his grip and he lets go willingly. There was a tension in the surrounding as he stared at me after he took his hand off mine. I gulp hard and remove my gaze from his.

          “That… that sounds like a good idea,” I say forcing a small smile in an effort to break this awkward silence.

          “Great! We will head out now itself. Just give me two minutes, I will change,” Shawn says happily and walks away to his room.