Chapter 8

CHAPTER 8

Sometimes, it is better to be alone,

Nobody can hurt you.

_____________________________________________________

Faith

          His phone rings as he lay peacefully asleep on my living room couch. I hesitate for a while and then receive it as it has been ringing forever.

          “Erm, hello?”

          “Hello, who is this?” a lady on the other side asks, sounding really worried.

          “Oh, erm, I am Kyle’s classmate. On my way back home, I saw him injured, lying on the floor, so-,”

          “Oh my god! Oh dear, where is he? Is he with you? How is he? This is all my fault,” she says holding her breath before I could finish giving my explanation.

          “Yes ma’am, I brought him with me. He is at my place, and due to extreme injuries, he dozed off,” I say trying to assure her that Kyle is alright.

          “Oh. Oh ok. Thank you so much dear. Please when he wakes up, inform him that I called,” she says, sounding a bit convinced.

          “Yes I will, but you are?”

          “I am… ,” she trails off, and I wait in silence for her reply.

          “I am Violet, I am like his mother,” she says and I wonder what does she mean by ‘like his mother’

          “Uh, ok, I will let him know,” and she hangs up without another word.

          I place his phone on the coffee table that was in front of the couch. I cleaned most of his cuts, but the purple bruise on his right eye looked really deep and painful. I stare at him in silence, while he lays there being oblivious. Who could possibly have done this to him? Why did the lady, Violet, sound like it was obvious something might happen to him?

          I was abstracted from my thoughts when the doorbell rang. I glance once at Kyle and sigh, before going to get the door.

          Opening the door, I see my dad standing there, looking completely exhausted.

          “Hey sweetie,” he says, giving me a tiring smile and kisses my forehead.

          “Hey dad,” I say, returning his smile. I totally forgot dad was coming back home today.

          He passes by me and goes inside, while I lock the door close.

          “Ingrid darling! I am ho-” I hear dad as he leaves his sentence incomplete. Oh shit. I forgot to that Kyle was in the living room.

          “Faith! Who is this young fellow?” Dad calls out as I hurry inside the living room.

          “Oh dad, this is my classmate. On my way back, I found him injured, laying on the road, so I bought him along with me,” I say explaining myself.

          “My dear, he looks pretty bad, are you sure he isn’t that ‘bad boy’ sort of guy? Who always gets involved in fights?” dad asks sounding concerned.

          “Oh no dad, as far as I know him, he doesn’t even talk to anyone,” I say curling my lips. Though I know that he ‘used’ to be a bad boy, but then, well who knows about now.