Chapter 6

Picture of Ingrid.

__________________________________________________________

CHAPTER 6

I’m not okay

I’m just good at pretending I am.

_________________________________________________________

          “Faith.”

        Ms. Jones called my name as she was handing out our Maths class test paper which we had on Thursday. It was a surprise test, she just wanted to see how much we remembered from the previous year. I don’t really know how well I did as most of the time, I wasn't mentally present in the class.

          I look up at her as she hands over my paper. An E. What?

          “I hope to get a better rank next time,” Ms. Jones says and walks away.

I look over at Sydney and mouth her, asking what did she get. She shows her paper from the distance and I see a B. Well.

          I smile at her and give her a thumbs up, and she smiles back then starts checking her mistakes. I sigh and then look at my left seeing none other than Kyle. As usual, he is being totally careless about what so ever was going around in the class, and so he let his paper rest on his table, which makes me have a glimpse of it. An A*. Wow. That was unexpected. 

          The bell rings, signaling that our lesson was over. As usual we had got tons of homework because Ms. Jones likes to torture us. I pack my stuffs and as I am about to leave the class, Ms. Jones calls me back in for a pep talk.

          “Faith, have a seat,” she says formally, motioning me to sit across her table.

          I respect her and sit down, thinking about what weird lecture am I about to get.

          “Are you alright?” she asks frowning at me.

          “Um… what makes you think I am not?” I ask giving a nervous laugh.

          “Doesn't look like so. You’re the only student in the class who got such low grade. I hope everything is fine?” she asks and I look down curling my lips.

          No. Nothing is fine. I am not fine. I cannot concentrate on anything no matter how hard I try. I want to escape somewhere, where I’ll no more have to deal with depression and anxiety.

          I let go of a sigh and say, “Ms. Jones, it’s just that I am a little nervous about this year, probably that got into me. I was always a bit weak in Math but I promise to give my level best to improve.”

          “Well, alright, I trust you and I know you can do it,” she says giving me a sweet smile.

          “….and oh, I can suggest you someone who will be able to help you in this case,” she says as I get up to leave.

          “Yes?”

          “Kyle”

          I widen my eyes at his name. I don’t want to work with him anymore. He is gloomy and mysterious, who has a very snappy personality which only makes me frustrated. I would prefer to work with Kevin rather than him.

          “I know, I know, you must be thinking that how can a guy who is always sitting with his mouth shut would possibly able to help you right? Well, don’t worry about that Faith, I already spoke to him and he agreed to help,” she says in a cheerful voice.