Chapter 26

CHAPTER 26

We all carry these things inside that no one else can see.

They hold us down like anchors; they drown us out at the sea.

_________________________________________________________

Kyle.

          This week had been very rough for me. After Ingrid’s death, Faith broke down completely which is understandable but shutting everyone out? I was getting worried. I tried contacting her several times, and also tried visiting her but all her father would say is that she didn’t come out of her room since Ingrid’s funeral.

          I remember the night where Ingrid was found death. It seemed that someone just stabbed her with a knife few times on her stomach before running away. Whoever did this, didn’t steal anything from the house as said by James’ parents but just created a huge chaos. Faith’s condition that night was indescribable; she couldn’t cry, nor could she speak. Her father said that detective Palovic tried talking to her or taking her out to give her a change of environment many times but she wouldn’t open the door of her room. Mr. Sheldon would just leave some food in front of her door and occasionally she’d eat them. Losing her best friend first and then her sister had a great effect on her mental health as she has her own problems to deal with too.

          It’s Saturday, 1 in the noon and yet, I am lying under the blanket at Aden’s house. I finally shared with Aden about Faith and all that has  happened with her and he has been of great help. Ms. Grint, however, seemed to avoid anything which was related to Faith; like the other day when I was telling how broken Faith was to Aden, Ms. Grint seemed to feel uncomfortable and left the room. She told me that Faith left work for personal reasons when I first met Ms. Grint at the coffee shop but I don’t know the reason behind it. Something seemed really fishy.

          “Up or nope?” Aden’s cheery voice jolts me out of my thoughts.

          I groan a bit as I turn around towards the door to see Aden dressed perfectly in black denim jeans and white shirt. His hair was still somewhat mess but it suited him that way; and not to mention, he wore his million dollar smile as usual.

          “Yeah, up,” I say stretching my arms before sitting up on the bed. I grab my phone to see if there was any text from Faith at all, and like every other morning this week, I get disappointed not to have one.

          “Great. I was heading to the café, wanna join?” Aden asks, as he walks towards his cupboard to grab his jacket.

          “Uh, I don’t know. I don’t feel like going anywhere,” I say running a hand through my hair before standing up from the bed.

          “When do you ever feel like doing anything?” Aden says rolling his eyes.

          I eye him then turn around towards this window. I draw back the curtains, wishing to get the comforting rays of the sun to greet me but, again, get disappointed when I take notice of the weather outside. The sky was dull with grey clouds covering most of it. I couldn’t get a hint of sunshine, and the leaves of the trees along the streets would move sometimes, indicating the windy environment. The few people who decided to walk this morning along the footpath were tucking their jackets tightly to prevent the cold outside. January was in the end and yet, the cold didn’t seem to get any closer to end.

          “Hey man, let’s go to the café, I’m sure you’d feel better,” Aden says soothingly, putting his hand on my shoulder.

          “I don’t know man, I’m just…. really worried about Faith,” I say sighing.