Thought steve was the punk here

Lowkey lost all my motivation after crying over really sad fics so sorry lmao.

My friend made a really good point that TJ Hammond a lot of the time is kind of just fanon Bucky, with more angst and drugs. I binged all of political animals in 2 days fite me losers.

Modern high school AU

3rd person POV

Dressed head to toe in black leather, with hair that was died a different colour every month, you'd expect Bucky Barnes to be the stereotypical punk. Stereotypical 'No, mum, it's not a phase!' (His mother didn't care what he wore). Black combat boots clipped the floors of the hallways every morning, most people ignoring him.

Apart from a few- well, two- select people (Natasha and Clint), everyone viewed Bucky completely off these stereotypes. Natasha knew him to be extremely caring for his younger siblings, Clint once saw tears in his eyes when he noticed a kid with scars on his arms. Only the two of them knew the side of him that he barely revealed to the rest of the world.

'Bet you five bucks-' Natasha whispered suddenly in a particularly boring class on afternoon.

'Make it twenty.' Bucky replied in a monotone voice, scratching words on the paper with his pencil.

'You don't even know what I was going to say!'

'I just know that five isn't enough. You once tried to make me strip in front of everyone for a cookie.'

They continued talking in hushed voices for about 30 more seconds, before the tired looking teacher at the front of the room called out to them.

'Doing your work, please. If I see one more student talking when they shouldn't be, it's five minutes at lunch.'

Natasha rolled her eyes, earning a smirk from Bucky. They kept working in silence, until the bell rang, sighs of relief and a chorus of 'finally!' coming from the class.

'Clint walked up to them from his desk at the back of the class. 'Can you guys wait? I need to ask Sir something.'

'Alright, nerd.' Natasha replied in a sarcastic tone, making them all laugh. The other two situated themselves outside the door as Clint waited to talk to the teacher.

'What is taking him so long?' Bucky hissed under his breath, glancing around the doorway. The teacher was talking to a different kid before Bucky. Rogers.

He immediately turned back around, safely out of Rogers -Steve's- view. Play it cool, Barnes.

Natasha gave him an amused look, glancing into the classroom to see what bothered him so much. When she looked back at him, a smirk had settled on her lips.

'Aw, does someone have a crush?' She said quietly in a sing-song voice.

'Shut up!' Bucky's face turned red, only making Natasha smile bigger.

Bucky's POV

Steve walked out if the classroom a few minutes later, and suddenly I didn't care that he took so long and was keeping me standing out there. I could only focus on the way his soft blonde hair fell slightly in his eyes, his bright blue eyes that told me so many things about him. The sketchbook he held in his hand which I always saw him drawing in. The small, slight frame, that made me yearn to protect him. He was beautiful.

I turned my head away, feeling my cheeks redden again. Steve, for obvious reasons, did not acknowledge my existence other than to let out a raspy cough at the overpowering smell of deodorant which is usually associated with middle school boys trying to hard.