Very Very Frightening Me

I watched Zuko throw a piece of bread into the turtle duck pond. The mother turtle duck and its ducklings swam to the bread and started eating at it.

"They are beautiful." I said softly. "I'm glad you showed me."

Zuko smiled warmly. He reached his hand in the water and one of the ducklings swam onto his hand. He brought it over to me. "Wanna hold it?"

I nodded and let him put it in my hands. I delicately stroked it's head with my finger and looked up at Zuko in awe. "It's so cute!" I said as the tiny animal chirped.

"Yeah, it is." Zuko said, sounding suddenly more sullen.

I put the duckling back in the water and looked over at Zuko. "What's wrong?"

Zuko opened his mouth to start to explain but stopped as a shadow loomed over us. The turtle ducks hissed and swam away.

I looked up. "Hi, Azula."

Azula greeted me with a nod and looked at Zuko.

"You seem so downcast." She observed.

"I haven't seen Dad yet. I haven't seen him in three years, since I was banished." Zuko explained.

"So what?"

"So, I didn't capture the Avatar."

"Who cares? The Avatar's dead... unless you think he somehow miraculously survived." Azula said.

I looked back and forth between them awkwardly. Zuko and I both knew it was possible that Aang was still alive.

"No. There's no way he could've survived." Zuko assured her.

"Well, then I'm sure you have nothing to worry about." Azula responded. "Did Ashley tell you I'm teaching her firebending?"

Zuko glanced over at me in disapproval. "Is that true?"

"Well, sorta. Kinda." I replied with a shrug.

"Ashley told me she needed a better teacher." Azula said, glancing at her nails.

I shook my head. "No I didn't. I would never say that."

"Well you might as well have said it." Azula replied. "Don't worry, I wouldn't want Zuzu to teach me either."

I kept shaking my head. "I never even asked you to teach me anything, you just did."

Azula shrugged. "Well, your poor firebending was a cry for help on its own."

I glanced over at Zuko in frustration.

"Azula, go away." Zuko said in anger.

Azula complied and started walking away.

"I thought I was going to teach you firebending." Zuko said, sounding a little hurt.

"Well, you still can, technically." I replied. "I just want to get to know Azula better."

Zuko shook his head. "Whatever. Just... don't trust her. I don't want her to hurt you." He whispered.

"I won't." I promised. "So, when do you think you'll see your dad?"

"I'm not sure. I really want to see him, but at the same time, I'm really nervous."

"I know the feeling." I replied, putting my hand in his. "Everything will work out well."

------

"Do you think your dad is angry at Zuko?" I asked Azula as a passed a volley of fire towards her.