No Escape from Reality

It was my second day on the ship, which had so far been much better than the first. I was still quite upset, and by now feeling a slightly stuffed nose from my plunge, but at least I wasn't freezing to death. The blanket Iroh had given me earlier had so far provided me with all the heat I needed, thankfully. Even my walkman had survived the perilous journey, which I was quite thankful for.

I eventually turned my walkman off to preserve thr battery, and continued thinking of where I was, which was something I didn't like thinking about. Mostly because I had no idea. I didn't like not knowing things.

I sighed aloud. "What I am gonna do now? I'm nowhere close to home..." I thought aloud hopelessly. I sat down on the lumpy mattress which took up the most space in the cell I was given, and started humming a small tune to keep myself occupied.

Not much later, I simply couldn't stand it anymore. I had to go do something, the boredom and curiosity inside me were mixing together to create an ugly storm. I peeked through the window on my cell door. Although I  knew it wasn't in my best interest to go explore the ship, I figured I didn't have much to lose. I tested the door handle, and to my surprise, it was unlocked.

I thought skeptically. Who was the last one in here? Zuko. That asshole forgot to lock the door.
I scoffed and obviously went straight to opening the door. I peeked down the hallways and went up the way I came in. I opened the door ajar to see the main deck, and Zuko and Iroh standing next to each other.

"A man needs his rest," I heard Iroh say as he gave a small yawn. I looked at the surrounding areas and saw the large icebergs, reminding me of the scenery in Greenland. "Prince Zuko, you need some sleep." Iroh continued. "Even if you are right, and the avatar is alive, you won't find him. Your father, grandfather and great-grandfather all tried and failed."

"Because their honor didn't hinge on the avatar being captured. Mine does."  Zuko replied.

I tilted my head as I listened into their conversation. So many things about Zuko were confusing to me. Why was he so angry all the time? It didn't seem like a good reason. Why would a prince have a reason to be so upset in the first place?

"This cowards hundred years in hiding are over." Zuko said, taking me back to reality.

As I continued peeking out the door, I caught Iroh's eye contact, and he beckoned me out. "Ashley is here." He commented.

I stepped outside awkwardly and looked down at my obnoxiously big shoes.

Zuko spun around. "You! What are you doing outside from your cell?" He questioned in a hostile tone.

I cracked my knuckles anxiously. "Well the door was unlocked, I figured if you really didn't want me to leave, you would actually lock the door.."

Steam shot from Zukos palms, and he only stared at me like he was about to roast me. Iroh walked over to me apologetically. "Ashley, I will take you back to your cell." He said before Zuko had an outburst. Iroh led me back down the hallway to the cell. "Take your things out, you will be staying in a nicer room." He said.

I looked to him with quiet gratitude and grabbed my belongings. Iroh led me up to a room that looked fit for a princess. "This room is usually used for fire sages but we have none on this ship." Iroh said as I walked in and looked around. The room was very elegant. It had a huge wardrobe, desk and bed with large fire symbol above it.

"Thank you Iroh, this is wonderful," I said with a touch of happiness, about the first since I had arrived on the ship.

Iroh nodded. "Just be quiet. My nephews room is across from here and I wouldn't want him to know you are in here."

I nodded as he turned to walk out the door. "Hey Iroh, can I ask you a question?" She asked.

Iroh smiled. "Sure, what would you like to know?"

"What is the avatar?" I asked, curious about the conversation I heard between him and Zuko earlier.

"Well, that is a little bit of a complex question." Iroh said with a small chuckle. "I first need to tell you about the Four Nations. There are the Air Nomads which can airbend, the Water tribes which can waterbend, the Earth Kingdom which earthbends, and the Fire Nation which firebends. The avatar is a person who unites the Four Nations and can bend all the elements."

I widened my eyes and took a second to process the information. "Why does Zuko want the Avatar?" I asked.

Before Iroh could answer her question, I heard crewmen walking to the deck quickly. Iroh opened the door. "I must see what is happening." He said as he walked out.

I peered into the hallway at the group of people rushing to the deck and followed them all with curiousity. I knew Zuko wouldn't be pleased with me leaving my room again, but I was simply too curious. Being cautious, I walked to the deck and stood in the back to make sure I  wasn't caught up in anything. I crossed my arms from the cold and stood up on my tip-toes, trying to see.

I could see from off the ship that they were approaching a small village which was assumed to be a Water tribe, from what Iroh told me. I watched as the people on land ran to shelter as the land trembled beneath them. What was going on? I looked around at the guards who were getting ready to leave the ship. This was the first time I realized I had been taken in by the wrong side.