We Will Not Let You Go!

I tried to smile. "Hi guys, it's nice to see you all again." I looked over at Zuko.

"I know you must be surprised to see me here." Zuko stated, as everyone glared at us with hostility.

"Not really, since you've followed us all over the world." Sokka retorted.

I took a glance at Zuko who was visibly uncomfortable. "Right... Well, uh... anyway, what I wanted to tell you about is that I've changed, and I uh, I'm good now. And, well, I think I should join your group." He started. He looked over at me for support.

I gave him a tiny nod and a reassuring smile.

"Oh, and I can teach firebending... to you. See, I uh..." Zuko continued.

Toph interrupted him. "You want to what now?!"

I widened my eyes in surprise. I wasn't really expecting that type of response.

"You can't possibly think that any of us would trust you, can you? I mean, how stupid do you think we are?" Katara questioned.

Sokka nodded in agreement. "Yeah, all you've ever done is try to hunt us down and capture Aang."

I pouted at Sokka, who just crossed his arms and ignored me.

"I've done some good things. I mean, I could've stolen your bison in Ba Sing Se, but I set him free. That's something." Zuko defended.

"He did." I confirmed. "And I could name several other good things he has done too."

I stepped back in surprise as Appa gave Zuko a huge lick.

"Appa does seem to like him." Toph noted.

Sokka scoffed. "He probably just covered himself in honey or something so that Appa would lick him. I'm not buying it."

I looked up in frustration.

Zuko tried to keep talking calmly. "I can understand why you wouldn't trust me, and I know I've made some mistakes in the past."

Sokka and Katara started sharing their stories of course. "Like when you attacked our village? Or when you stole my mother's necklace and used it to track us down and capture us?"

I sighed impatiently. "Is this really important? He knows what he did and he's trying to apologize."

Zuko put his hand on my wrist as a way to tell me to be quiet. "Look, I admit I've done some awful things. I was wrong to try to capture you, and I'm sorry that I attacked the Water Tribe. And I never should've sent that Fire Nation assassin after you. I'm gonna try to stop him."

I tried to hide my confusion at the last part. Assassin? Zuko never told me about that. The thought made me a bit peeved but I knew I couldn't show it.

Sokka took out his boomerang and pointed it at Zuko. "Wait, you sent Combustion Man after us?"

"Well, that's not his name, but..."

"Oh, sorry. I didn't mean to insult your friend." Sokka mocked.

"He's not my friend!" Zuko said, raising his voice.

"That guy locked me and Katara in jail and tried to blow us all up." Toph complained.

Sokka spoke to me for the first time. "You look surprised. I bet he didn't even tell you he sent an assassin after us."

I looked over at Zuko, who seemed like he was about to die from stress, and then back at Sokka. "Of course I knew. He was in a tough spot when he hired him, okay? Zuko doesn't keep anything from me, why would he?" I lied, and apparently pretty convincingly, because Sokka didn't respond.