Little Low

I scowled as Zhao led me into the temple. "If I were you, I wouldn't assume Zuko would give up the Avatar for me." I said honestly.

We approached entrance of the temple where Zuko stood, Katara and Sokka tied to a tree nearby.

Zuko has just finished talking about how he was going to capture Aang, and Zhao came out of the shadows with me and his troops.

"Commander Zhao..." a fire sage said, looking at us.

"Prince Zuko, it was a noble effort. But your little smoke screen didn't work. Two traitors, in one day, the Fire Lord will be pleased." Zhao said, then looked at me. "Guess I will not need you, as expected. Guards, tie her up."

Guards came over to me and grabbed me, I struggled and kicked one of them in the stomach. They staggered backwards and shot a stream of fire towards me. I bolted to the side and dodged it (nearly), and got caught by another guard. I looked at Zuko to see that troops had also grabbed him.

"You're too late, Zhao. The Avatar's inside and the doors are sealed." Zuko said, his teeth gritted.

"No matter. Sooner or later, he has to come out." Zhao replied.

Commander Zhao and his troops stood in front of the sanctuary doors, waiting for Aang to emerge. The troops assumed the firebending pose.

"When those doors open, unleash all your firebending power." Zhao said to them all as I continued to struggle on the column I was chained on next to Zuko.

"There's no point in trying, you won't be able to get out." Zuko said to me hopelessly.

"Can't you use your firebending or something?" I whispered anxiously.

"That's not how it works." Zuko answered, somewhat frustrated.

I sighed and looked at Katara who was chained to the column next to us.

"How is Aang going to get through this?" She questioned.

"How are we going to get through this?" Sokka questioned her.

A blinding white light began coming from inside the sanctuary. Commander Zhao and his troops were silhouetted against the light. Smoke billowed out into the entryway from the bottom of the door. The light from the sanctuary continued to grow. We all looked away to shield our eyes.

"Ready..." Zhao said as his troops got in fire bending stances.

As the doors began to fully open, two large glowing eyes became visible in the dark of the sanctuary. Smoke continued to emanate from the sanctuary.

"No! Aang!" Katara said as she squirmed around in the chains.

I frowned with confusion. "Zuko what is happening?" I asked quietly. He didn't respond.

"Fire!" Zhao ordered.

Zhao shot a fire blast into the sanctuary. In total, nine soldiers, including Zhao, were concentrating all their fire power at the entrance to the sanctuary. The fire blasts were not entering the sanctuary. They were instead being held at the door and manipulated into a gigantic ball of swirling fire. It slowly began to open. At the heart of the fire ball was a man, his eyes glowing. I widened my eyes in wonder.

"Avatar Roku!" The fire sage chained next to Katara and Sokka said.

I kept my eyes wide. It was the old avatar. Maybe he knew how I could get home.

Avatar Roku drew the fire ball from the troops back towards himself and shot it out into the room. Zhao and his soldiers were knocked to the floor. The heat of the blast melted the chains holding Sokka, Katara, Shyu, me and Zuko.

Zuko grabbed my wrist. "Ashley, lets go." He said quickly.

I looked desperately at Avatar Roku and then shook my head. I rested my hand on Zuko's so he would let go of my wrist. "Zuko, I have a chance to ask Roku how I can get home. I need to take it."

Zuko nodded, looking slightly disappointed. "Fine. Next time." He said, running away shortly after. I could tell he wasn't happy with my decision. I looked at Katara, grateful to see she hadn't noticed me with Zuko. I looked at the giant Roku, who was still getting rid of Zhao's troops. I ran past the various troops dropping on the ground and reached Roku.

I went down on one knee and looked up at Roku. "Roku, please help me. I need to go home."

Roku looked down at me, and responded, his voice booming. "You have no need to go home yet, there is still so much for you to learn."

I widened my eyes with despair and frowned. "What do you mean? I do not belong here."

"Seek for what has been missing in your old life before you leave your new one." Roku responded.