Scaramouche, Scaramouche

"How far away from the Fire Nation are we?" I asked Zuko lightly.

"We are probably a day or so away." Zuko responded, putting his arm around my shoulder.

I looked at the ceiling. "I still have to think of a story of how I met you. I can't tell anyone where I'm actually from."

"That's true. Just say you were spying on the water tribe for your father or something like that."

"Yeah, I guess that could work. I can say I was studying their medical practices or something." I sat up and looked at Zuko with a weak smile. We were on a Fire Nation ship on our way to the capital. It had been a few days on the ship, and I had begun to get sick of it. Thankfully, Zuko was here. He seemed so excited to go back home. Zuko's happiness tended to be contagious, even though most of the time he didn't show it.

"So, am I allowed to stay in the palace for a couple months?" I asked.

"I'm sure you'll be able to. You helped us kill the avatar, so dad will be grateful towards you." Zuko reminded me.

I stood up from the bed and looked in the mirror. "Right." In a way, I felt terrible. Aang was the world's last chance and now he was probably dead. I was partially responsible.

Zuko sat up. "What do you mean 'right'?" He asked quickly.

I spun around. "What do you mean?"

"You don't think... the avatar is alive, do you?"

I narrowed my eyes. "...Do you?"

Zuko looked at the ground. "It's possible."

I tilted my head. A few moments later, the thought struck me. "The magic water thingy Katara had."

Zuko nodded and put his hands through his now-shaggy hair.

I frowned and sat next to him. "Um, don't worry, Zuko. I'm sure Aang is dead. I mean, Katara is a weakling, right? She couldn't do that!"

Zuko groaned and stayed quiet.

I kissed Zuko's cheek softly. "Don't be paranoid, everything is fine. We are going home."

"If the avatar isn't dead, I won't have a home." Zuko said darkly.

I shushed him as I heard footsteps approaching the door. There was a knock, and a voice of a servant said, "Prince Zuko, dinner is being served in five minutes." The footsteps faded away.

"We better go." I said, tugging on Zuko's royal robes.

"I don't want to." Zuko said stubbornly, like a five-year old.

I scoffed and looked in the mirror, fixing the collar of my new Fire Nation attire. It was a red and white silk kimono, with flowing sleeves that tended to get in the way. "Come on, Zuzu." I put on my ruby necklace Zuko had given me a few weeks ago.

"Don't call me that." Zuko replied flatly, before standing up. "You look nice." He added.

I blushed slightly and grinned. "Thanks."

We walked to the dinner table, and I sat down next to Ty Lee hesitantly. I glanced over at Mai, who was glaring at me. I rolled my eyes and looked away. I looked around and noticed Azula wasn't there. "Where's Azula?"

"Azula doesn't eat with people. She eats by herself in her room." Mai said, as if it was completely normal.

I looked at Zuko in confusion and then down at my dinner the chef just gave us. "Why?"

"We don't question it, she just does." Ty Lee replied.

I started eating my food gingerly. "So, how did you both meet Azula?"