I've Got to Go

I smiled as we walked up to the woman at the ticket gate. She had a large hairy mole above her eyebrow, and didn't seem very pleasing. She was looking over our identification papers dubiously. "So, Mr. Lee, Mr.... umm Mushy is it? And Miss Ash-Lee.."

"It's pronounced Moo-shee." Iroh corrected.

The customs lady looked up from the papers angrily. "You telling me how to do my job?"

"Uh, no no no. But may I just say that you're like a flower in bloom, your beauty intoxicating."

The customs lady was charmed. "You're pretty easy on the eyes yourself handsome." She made a cat-claw gesture. "Raorrr. Welcome to Ba Sing se." She stamped our papers and gave them back to us.

"I'm gonna forget I saw that." Zuko said, grabbing the papers from Iroh.

"I don't think I can forget that." I commented in disgust.

We began walking over to the train station and sat down, waiting for our train to arrive. "This kinda reminds me of the subways in New York." I commented, looking around wistfully. I sighed as I saw Jet walking over casually. He sat down on the other side of Zuko.

"So, you guys got plans once you're inside the city?" Jet asked.

"Get your hot tea here! Finest tea in Ba Sing Se!" A tea merchant said, pulling a chart of tea making equipment.

Iroh waved his hand, of course. "Oh! Jasmine, please." Iroh took a sip and spat it out. "Blaugh! Ugh. Coldest tea in Ba Sing Se is more like it. What a disgrace!"

"It can't be that bad." I said, looking at Uncle.

"Hey, can I talk to you for a second?" Jet asked Zuko, who was ignoring Uncle and his tea. Zuko sighed and stood up reluctantly. They both walked away from where we were sitting, and I crossed my arms, watching them as they talked.

Zuko started walking back, and I watched as Jet suddenly widened his eyes in shock, his face then turning to a look of hostility. He turned around and walked off. I looked back at Uncle and saw him holding a steaming cup of tea.

Zuko dashed forward and slapped the cup out of Iroh's hand.

"Hey!" Iroh said, distraught.

"What are you doing firebending your tea?! For a wise old man, that was a pretty stupid move." Zuko whispered.

"I know you're not supposed to cry over spilled tea, but... that's so sad." Iroh mourned.

"Uncle, you need to be more cautious. This is the one chance we have to get a fresh start. You don't want to screw up on the first day of being here." I scolded.

The train we were supposed to take made its way into the station. "Come on, let's go." Zuko said, grabbing my hand. We scurried onto the train car and took our seats. Zuko crossed his arms, still angry.

I looked at the people seated in front of us and greeted them with a tiny smile. I noticed the baby the woman was holding. Iroh spoke for me.

"What a handsome baby."

"Thank you." The woman responded.

"What's it's name?" I asked with curiousity.

"Hope." The father told me.

I smiled warmly. "That's a beautiful name."

------

"So, remind me again how Ba Sing Se is organized?" I asked Uncle.

"We are in the lower ring, and the closer to the center of the city you go, the higher the class, with the Palace being in the direct center of the city."