Nothing Really Matters

It was the day of Zuko's coronation. I was standing with everyone else, waiting for Zuko to come out, with the biggest smile on my face. I was so proud.

"When's Zuko coming out?" Gaku asked impatiently beside me.

I placed an absent-minded hand on his shoulder to make him feel better. My attention was grabbed as I saw a bunch of Kyoshi Warriors in the corner of my eye.

"There's my favorite warriors! I have to admit, I kind of missed the face paint. So how does it feel to be in uniform again?" Sokka said happily near me as he went up to Suki.

"It feels great!" Ty Lee said as she jumped up front behind a few of the girls.

"Careful, Suki! Ty Lee is pretending to be a Kyoshi Warrior again." Sokka warned.

"It's okay. She's one of us now." Suki explained.

"Yeah, the girls and I really bonded in prison. And after a few chi blocking lessons, they said I could join their group. We're going to be best friends forever." Ty Lee said as she hugged two other warriors. She noticed me and ran over. "Ashley!" She spoke as she gave me a hug.

"Hey Ty Lee! How are you? And where's Mai?" I asked, peeking around her shoulder.

"I'm here." Mai announced as she tip-toed around the kyoshi warriors.

"You guys look so much better than the last time I saw you." I commented. "Much more... fed."

"Yes, we need to thank you for that." Mai saod, sounding sincere for once.

"Yeah, we would've died if not for you." Ty lee said as she gave me another hug.

I shrugged, trying to be humble. "I was bored. And someone needed to help you. I'm glad it was me." I looked over at Mai. "What are you going to do?"

She shrugged. "I don't know yet."

"I'm sure you could ask Zuko for a job in the government somewhere." I suggested.

"Yeah-" Mai started before we were interrupted by a growing silence.

I brought my attention to the front as Zuko stepped out as a gong was struck. I smiled endearingly as he made eye contact with me and the corner of his mouth raised a bit. He was dressed in the formal Fire Lord outfit, which fit him perfectly. The crowd erupted around me.

Zuko stopped and raised his hand. "Please. The real hero is the Avatar." Aang walked out beside and the crowd cheered even louder. My ears would definitely be ringing after this. Zuko smiled before he continued. "Today this war is finally over! I promised my uncle that I would restore the honor of the Fire Nation. And I will. The road ahead of us is challenging. A hundred years of fighting has left the world scarred and divided. But with the Avatar's help, we can get it back on the right path and begin a new era of love and peace."

He kneeled down, preparing to be crowned Fire Lord. A Fire Sage approaching with the headpiece. After her put it in Zuko's topknot, he acclaimed, "All hail Fire Lord Zuko!"

I clapped and cheered along with everyone else around me, more proud than words could describe.

———

"Oh my God, Zuko it was so amazing." I whispered to Zuko as we danced slowly at the banquet held afterwards.

"Really? I was so nervous." Zuko replied doubtfully.

"It was great! Especially the speech you gave at the end." I said with a wink.

"I had some help." He replied with a smile.