And Face the Truth

I woke up at the sun was just beginning to shed it's light upon Ba Sing Se. I looked around in confusion and saw Zuko laying right next to me. We had fallen asleep while we were watching the stars on the roof last night. I prodded at Zuko until I saw his eyes flicker open. "What?" He asked grumpily.

"I'm gonna go back inside before people start waking up." I whispered.

Zuko looked around. "Are we still on the roof?"

"Yeah, genius, we fell asleep here." I said, pulling him by the arms to help him stand up. We crawled down and back through the window of our room. Iroh was in the kitchen drinking some tea.

"Ah you two are awake." He said with a tiny smirk.

I crossed my arms. "When does work start?"

"In 20 minutes."

I opened my mouth in protest and then went back to my room to get ready. My work uniform was a green kimono-looking thingy with an apron. I tied my hair up in the bun and examined myself in the mirror. I definitely liked the old Fire Nation outfits I used to wear better.

"Ashley, hurry up." Zuko said impatiently from the main room.

I huffed and ran out to meet Zuko and Iroh ready to go. We walked outside and a few blocks down to the tiny tea shop. Pao (our boss) was inside waiting for us. "Ah, wonderful, you are all here. Ash-Lee, I still would like for you to do dishes today, Lee, you serve, and Mushi, keep brewing that delicious tea everyone in town is raving about." He instructed us.

I nodded and gave the best smile I could muster. I walked into the back kitchen area and sat down in a chair in boredom. Iroh came in and started making his tea. "Ash-Lee, would you like a demonstration of how I make my jasmine tea?" He asked.

I looked up grudgingly. "Sure."

Uncle started ranting about the correct temperature, and times to seep the tea in order to make the correct brew. Surprisingly, I listened to most of it. Perhaps it would actually come in hand later.

------

Our shifts were almost over. I was scrubbing away at the teacups, which were growing more and more due to Uncle's new, amazing reputation. As I cleaned the dishes, I tended to listen out to people's conversations. Not in a weird way, more like a curious way. What people did for a living and such.

"This is the best tea in the city!" I heard a guy mention to Iroh as he poured a fresh cup of tea.

"The secret ingredient is love." Iroh responded. Ugh. So cheesy.

Pao walked towards Iroh as he finished. "I think you're all due for a raise." I smiled slightly.

Not even a second later, I heard a loud slam from the front of the restaurant. I quickly turned off the faucet and ran out into the seating area. Jet was here.

"I'm tired of waiting. Those three are firebenders!" Jet pointed an accusing finger at Zuko and Iroh and I. Jet unsheathed his hook swords and prepared to fight. Zuko and I exchanged a glance.

"I know they're firebenders! I saw the old man heating his tea!" Jet accused.

"We work in a tea shop!" I said defensively.

"They are firebenders, I'm telling you!"

They officers sitting at a nearby table stood up. "Drop your swords boy, nice and easy."

"You'll have to defend yourself. Then everyone will know. Go ahead, show them what you can do." Jet poised his hook swords and slowly walked towards Zuko. Zuko stepped in front of him and grabbed one of the officer's set of dual swords.