I Don't Wanna Die

Another long day of work. Somehow, work was even more boring than riding on a bison all day. The worst part was that my job was still scrubbing away at the dishes. Zuko was lucky for getting to wait on people. He didn't have to haul away all the dishes like I did. I was a little jealous of his job, to be honest.

"So you're the genius behind this incredible brew. The whole city is buzzing about you. I hope Pao pays you well." I heard a guy say to Iroh.

"Good tea is its own reward." Iroh replied.

I approached a table and put on a smile, taking away their used teacups. I picked up the dishes and walked past Iroh.

"But it doesn't have to be the only reward. How would you like to have your own tea shop?" The wealthy man asked Iroh. I widened my eyes in surprise and placed the cups I was carrying on an empty table.

"My own tea shop? This is a dream come true." Iroh said, stunned.

"What's going on here? Are you trying to poach my tea maker?" Pao said, defensively.

"Sorry Pao, that's business for you, am I right?"

"Mushi, if you stay, I will make you Assistant Manager. Wait, Senior Assistant manager." Pao said desperately.

"I'll provide you with a new apartment in the upper ring. The Tea shop is yours to do whatever you want. Complete creative freedom."

I looked over at Zuko happily, and he just looked back in dispair.

"I even get to name the shop?" Iroh asked in excitement.

"Of course!"

"Uh, Senior Executive Assistant Manager?" Pao said nervously.

Iroh set the teapot into the hands of shop owner Pao, who grimaced in pain.

"Did you hear nephew? This man wants to give us our own tea shop in the upper ring of the city." Iroh said to Zuko happily.

"That's right young man. Your life is about to change for the better."

Zuko walked away towards the front door setting down the tray of cups. "I'll try to contain my joy." He said gravely, walking outside.

I looked at Iroh with concern. "I'll go talk to him." I mumbled, walking quickly outside.

I exited the tea shop and looked around for Zuko. He was nowhere to be seen. I heard shuffling above me and looked to see Zuko climbing on the roof. "Lee? What are you doing?" I asked, struggling to climb up behind him. He didn't answer. I made it up behind Zuko and saw him looking around for something. A piece of paper was in his hand. I snatched it and started reading the flyer with wide eyes. "oh shit.."

"The avatar is here, in Ba Sing Se." Zuko said, sounding determined for the first time in a long time.

"I don't know... maybe his bison just is." I said, trying to sound doubtful.

"Why would the bison be here with no avatar?" Zuko glanced over at me like I was stupid. I didn't like this Zuko.

"I don't know, Prince Zuko. I'm just thinking that perhaps it's not worth it anymore." I said, crossing my arms. I hadn't called him that for a long time.

"How could you say that?" Zuko asked angrily, turning to me.

I shook my head slowly and scoffed. "I'm not here to argue, Zuko. Do what you want. But I think it's a little dense of you to ruin the life we've made here! We have the opportunity to go live in the upper ring. You can't just throw that away."

"The avatar is more important than this." Zuko stated harshly.

"Really? Is the avatar is more important than me? We have been so happy the past few weeks."