Chapter 42

Bella's POV....
I felt cold. My body was numb. I couldn't open my eyes. I tried to keep them open but I couldn't. I let the darkness take me again.

I don't know how long it has been. I don't want to know. I can't move. I can't open my eyes. The darkness was my only comfort.

I felt stronger. I willed my eyes to open. I was greeted with a white ceiling. I blinked. I sat up slowly. I couldn't feel my heart. Perhaps it was because I didn't have one anymore. It was ripped out of my chest the minute I saw him die.
" Bella,'' Elijah said. I turned to look at him. He sat at the edge of the bed where I lay.
" Where am I?''
" In my house. I brought you here when you fainted,'' he explained. My chest hurt. Klaus walked into the room.
" Ah, good to see you're awake, love. You've been out for quite a bit of time. No bother, you're awake now," he said smirking. I grew angry at the sight of him. He killed Damon. I felt my powers surge as I grasped him in the air.
" Give me one good reason why I shouldn't kill you right now,'' I said menacingly. Elijah stood up.
" Bella, calm down-"
"No! He killed Damon!''
I began squishing Klaus' bones. I could hear cracking as he cried out in pain.
" Bella, stop!''
" I had to kill him,'' Klaus gasped, " It was the only way to get your powers to surge and keep you alive."
" Bella, it was the only way,'' Elijah pleased. I turned to look at him and covered my mouth with my hand as tears weld up in my eyes.
" You knew,'' my voice cracked, " You knew he was going to kill him. You didn't stop him."
" It was to keep you safe-"
" I was ready to die!''
" Bell-"
" No! I needed to die to keep them all alive. That was my choice. I didn't want anyone else to die,'' I cried. I fell to my hands and knees as I sobbed.
"He's not truly dead,'' Elijah said. I looked at him in shock.
" What,'' I gasped.
" We knew that you wouldn't have been able to survive the ritual. We saw the way Damon brought out your powers when he left you. it's when we got the idea of this. Killing him triggered enough emotion for you to finish the spell and keep yourself alive. Damon knew this. He agreed right away. Bonnie called on her ancestor's spirit to keep him alive. He had a protection spell on him. He is alive,'' Elijah finished.
" Where is he?''
" He's not awake yet-"
" I don't care. Take me to him,'' I urged. Elijah nodded.
***
He took me to a house in the middle of the woods. The house looked torn down and barely standing. I followed him inside to the basement. I saw Bonnie next to Damon's body on the floor. Candles lit the room. I ran to Damon and fell on my knees next to him.
" Damon. Oh my god, Damon,'' I grabbed his hand, " Wake up. Please, wakeup."
" He should wake up soon. It won't be long-"
Damon sat up straight as he gasped loudly. His hand flew to his heart and rubbed the spot where he was staked.
" Damon,'' I cried. I pulled him into my arms. I wrapped my arms around him so tightly I was afraid I would break him.
" You're okay,'' I cried.
" Bella,'' he gasped, " You're alive. It worked."
" Yes, it worked. It worked. I love you so much,'' I said through tears.
" I love you too. I'm so glad you're alive."
" Never do that again,'' I said sternly. He only pulled me in for a kiss.
" I guess my work here is done,'' Bonnie said. I looked at her.
" Thank you, Bonnie. I can't tell you how grateful I am,'' I said to her. I watched her walk out and give Elijah a small nod. Elijah looked at me once she had left.
" Thank you,'' I whispered. He simply smiled and turned to leave. I held on to Damon for god knows how long. I felt that if I let him go he would disappear. By the grip he had on me I could tell he felt the same way.
" Lets go home,'' I told him. I grabbed his hand and guided him out. I let out a sigh as I stepped into the cool air. It was over. Finally.