Chapter 31

Bella's POV...
" We have a problem," Elijah said. He walked past us and into the house.
" What's going on,'' I asked.
" Klaus was going to try to break the curse in three days. He already has everything he needs but he doesn't want to go through with it the normal way. Originally we were going to have him think he was going to do the ritual and catch him by surprise before he starts. Niklaus sent a message informing me that he was not going to go through with the ritual."
" But doesn't he want to break the curse?'' I asked
" He does but he doesn't want to do the ritual. He is not going after Elena,'' Elijah said.
" He's going after me,'' I concluded.
" I won't let him get to you,'' Elijah said. I felt my eyes fill with tears and smiled sadly.
" I have to do it,'' I sniffled. " He'll kill everyone I care about,''
My eyes flickered to Damon who had a scowl on his face as he concentrated.
" We can still try to fight him,'' He said. I shook my head as tears fell.
" I don't know the spell and catching him off guard was the best chance we had.''
" We can't give up. I have the grimore, all we need to do i practice. You just have to make him week enough so I can kill him,'' Elijah urged.
" He's right,'' Damon said, "we can't let him win."
He rubbed my arm soothingly as I wiped my face. I nodded slowly.
" Okay,'' I sniffled, " Let's practice now, we only have three nights including today."
" Okay, I'll be back, I left the grimore in the car,'' Elijah said. I nodded and headed back to the couch, Damon following behind.
" Bella,'' He started. I looked at him. " Let's just run. I was joking before but we can run away where he can't find us."
"Damon, he will kill anyone I care about, my dad, Elena, Stefan, and if he ever finds us he won't hesitate to kill you."
" I don't like this,'' He said.
" I know but its the best shot we have.''
" It took a while to find this but this is the spell we need to practice. I figured you could practice on me since i'm the closest thing to Niklaus when it comes to strength."
I nodded. " Hand it over."
I read the spell and began chanting. The wind blew around me. I saw how Elijah began to choke. I kept chanting. His knees began to buckle under him. I kept chanting. The power that surged through me was too much. I could feel it begin to overwhelm my body. I saw Elijah fall on his knees and scream in pain. I couldn't stop. I felt something drip down my nose.
" Bella!'' Damon shook me. "Bella!"
I could feel the power coursing through my veins. I had no control over it.
" Bella!"
Thats when I collapsed.

Damon's POV.....
I heard Elijah take a deep breathe as the spell stopped.
" Bella!'' I yelled again as I shook her body. She was limp in my arms. Blood was going down her nose. Elijah knelt next to me.
" The spell must have channeled too much power. It was too much for her body to handle,'' He said.
" Well do something,'' I urged as I picked her up.
" I can't do anything. She'll wake up soon. We just need to be-"

He was cut off by Bella gasping for air. Her whole body jerked forward as she looked around scared. I immediately wrapped my arms around her frame, crushing her to my chest.
"What happened?'' She gasped.
"You passed out from the spell,'' I said and kissed her head.

Bella's POV...
"I'm fine. I don't know what happened. I just couldn't stop,'' I reassured. I turned to Elijah " Are you alright?''
" I am fine. Don't worry about me,'' He said.
" Screw the spell. You're not doing this again,'' said Damon. I shook my head
" I can do this, it will be enough for Elijah to come an finish the job. I need to do this,'' I said to Damon. He shook his head.
" No."
" I'm sorry but I'm doing it and you can't stop me,'' I said to him. He shook his head as he pulled away from me. I turned to Elijah.
" I will be strong enough by the full moon,'' I said to him. He nodded but I could tell he was worried.
" Look why don't we all just go rest. Damon and I have to go to my house to get my stuff. Elijah why don' you go out and have a drink, try to relax. Everything will be fine.''
" I'll leave you two,'' He said as he straightened his sleeves and walked towards the door. I followed behind him to walk him out.
" Night,'' I called softly. He turned to give me a smile but it was brief. I sighed softly as I turned to face Damon.
" Damon, I'm fine,'' I said.
" I just don't want to lose you,'' He said.
" You won't"
" You don't know that,'' He argued.
" Yes I do,'' I said. "Please trust me."
" Come on, let's go get my things,'' I said and grabbed his hands.

   The car ride was silent. I held his hand as he drove but I could tell he was deep in thought. He waited for me in the car to get my things. We drove back in more silence. I wanted to talk but I didn't even know what to say. He didn't even touch me that night. He slept turned away from me. I couldn't sleep. I knew my body isn't strong enough. I don't have enough practice. But if I don't try to kill him this way then the spell Klaus wants me to do will kill me as well. Either way I could end dead.