// twenty-three //

•Mixed Signals•

••••••

••••••

H A V I N G  O N E  L E S S  P R O B L E M  came at the right time for Reina since Maria had gotten sicker after her first chemotherapy session, vomiting and barely getting out of bed. It ached Reina's heart, refilled the hurtful space, the one Ander mended for her. No matter how horrible things were in their family, Reina still moved on.

Salvador continued to help her, they started going back in Reina's memories, actually bringing out stuff Reina had forgotten. It was a weird process, but it helped Reina feel slightly better since she finally knew where her feelings came from. All actually connected to Alejandro.

With him, Polo, Valerio and the upcoming exams Reina felt pressured to even get out of bed, but she still did, getting into her Las Encinas uniform, making her hair and eventually leaving her bedroom, being quiet when she passed Maria's room. The girl wasn't attending school and started to be homeschooled, Alejandro's suggestion. Maria hated it, of course, but with her worsening health it was the best option.

Reina entered the kitchen, noticing her mother making breakfast for them all, quiet and still very stressed over the fact that Maria was now very sick. Reina frowned, wanting to hug Susana and take her pain away, add that ugly feeling to her own suffering. "Morning," Reina greeted gently, approaching her mom and kissing her cheek so Susana smiled gently, flipping eggs in a pan.

"Hey, you're staying for breakfast?" Susana asked hopefully, feeling rather lonely in this household since Alejandro was still away, thankfully longer than he had promised, Gabriela was having a sleepover at Nora's, still confusing Reina. Maria was asleep so Reina could only imagine how Susana must have felt like. So she nodded and sat down, seeing a wide grin form on her mom's face.

Soon enough, both females were eating breakfast, enjoying each other's presences as Susana faced her daughter, noticing her quiet form. "So... I've been thinking a little and realized it's been a long time the four of us went out somewhere..." Susana began, approaching a simple topic carefully because she never knew how Reina would react.

Reina swallowed her bite and glanced at her mom's expectant eyes, not understanding what Susana would suggest. "I already asked the twins and they agreed, but we won't go far because of Maria, you know..." Susana trailed off sadly, making Reina listen and nod her head. "Just a fun day with your mother, somewhere outside this house. What do you say? Would you join us?"

"Of course," Reina agreed with a smile, confusing Susana like this, but soon the mother smiled and hugged Reina's side, emotional upon seeing her eldest girl slowly come back to her old self. "I've missed the good old times."