// twenty //

•The Other Side of Paradise•

••••••

••••••

V A L E R I O' S  H I D D E N  N E R V E S  warmed Reina's frozen heart. He continued to drive them both to the countryside, his car's hood lowered down so the wind blowed through Reina's hair, bringing her the much needed rest for her mind. The curly haired guy besides her continued to joke, trying not to show a fact that he was indeed nervous to meet Reina's grandpa, someone Reina considered more father than Alejandro.

Reina knew how Mateo could be, he'd be intimidating at first, gradually warming up. That happened with Ander, but Valerio was different. Reina had been hurt before so she knew the guy who brought her calm would have twice as much to bare.

As they drove in refreshing quiet towards Mateo's house, Reina continued to glance at Valerio, every single time feeling bad she played with him like that because of Polo and the secret that she knew. Because Reina truly felt good being with him, for once wanting something, but having to stop herself from pursuing. If he knew, he wouldn't smile at her like that ever again, she thought, and this made Reina feel even worse.

When they finally parked his luxurious car outside of Mateo's cottage house, Reina turned to Valerio again, smiling when she noticed how he tried to fix his Las Encinas uniform, usually so messy and carefree. "It's fine, you shouldn't care what he thinks about your outfit," Reina finally spoke, surprising her voice sounded softer than her thoughts.

Valerio met her eyes nervously, butting up his white formal shirt before she snickered and slapped his hand off. "Reina, stop undressing me," Valerio teased when she unbuttoned his previously buttoned shirt as he tried to be who he wasn't, someone nicer to a girl's he liked family.

Reina fixed his golden necklaces, brushing her hand across his neck as Valerio stared at her unreadable facial expression, again thinking about when he saw her talk to Polo in a boys' locker room, privately and mysteriously. Ever since Valerio saw that occurrence he noticed Reina be quieter than she usually was. "Don't pretend to be who you're not, okay? My last one did and look how that turned out," she told him gently, finally getting out of the car, Valerio following shortly after.

He was quick to join her side, staring at the huge house of Mateo, Alejandro's gift for his father-in-law. "Does he even know I'm coming?" Valerio asked her lowly, trying not to fidget much so Reina smiled and nodded, opening the gates' door to finally enter.

She heard Valerio mumble something and follow her inside as Reina instantly saw Mateo stand by the entrance, grinning at his granddaughter. "Been a while!" he greeted, Reina practically running into his arms to hug the man, who returned the embrace, glaring at Valerio when Reina wasn't seeing.

Valerio grinned falsely, already intimidated by this man. Reina pulled away, having missed her grandpa since most time he spent with his girlfriend. "How're you, dear?" Mateo asked Reina sadly, noticing a slight change in her, a better one.